Christmas eve wedding??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
13 replies 11.7K views
smartie12smartie12 Forumite
7.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Does anybody know if registry offices are opened for weddings on christmas eve (day)???:confused:

Our Gretna Green wedding isn't going to plan and we would like to do something "different"... so I thought it'd be really romantic to get married on xmas eve if possible:D
BLOWINGBUBBLES:kisses2: SMARTIE12

Replies

• floss2floss2 Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they will be as they are staffed by Council staff, but may possibly be on limited staffing, so you might want to give your chosen office a call to check if they have any spaces. Also, they may be closing early.....I know the offices in our Council will all close a bit earlier on Christmas Eve.
  • nell35nell35 Forumite
    79 Posts
    smartie12 wrote: »

Our Gretna Green wedding isn't going to plan and we would like to do something "different"... so I thought it'd be really romantic to get married on xmas eve if possible:D

Is there a reason you've decided against Gretna Green - I don't want to seem nosey but If I can help (I work in the wedding industry at Gretna) then just pm me!!
  • orlaoorlao Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this applies to you but when my brother got married on the 23rd December it caused havoc for a lot of the guests......everyone is so busy in the run up to Christmas that a lot of people who would have loved to come couldn't as they were travelling to family do's, busy with kids ( nightmare to get babysitters at that time of year!) anyone who worked in hospitality or retail couldn't get time off, that type of thing!

The other thing id if you are planning a party after you may struggle to find a venue.......

Of course if it's just the two of you and a couple of witnesses the above doesn't apply :D

BTW, Congrat ulations:D
  • LorneLorne Forumite
    770 Posts
    I'm sorry to hear that your plans at gretna aren't going well, we are getting married in March in gretna and plans are really smooth, would alternative venue or arrangements be an option?

Christmas eve wise, you might have difficulty getting venues etc due to the holiday season and difficulties with travel arrangements for guests might be a problem, if you have guests!
    Thanks for the advice Martin! :money:
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smartie,

Congrats on the wedding plans. We got married on 080808. Although we knew we wanted to get married on that date, we didn't actually start booking anything until May (we'd bought a house, and thought we'd have to put the wedding back, but then decided not to).

We had a great time and we really love being married. However, had that date not been so important to us, I think on reflection we would have been better to take longer to plan and organise and save for it. Quite a few people couldn't come because of the relatively short notice (didn't manage 'save the date' cards), so couldn't get time off work or had holidays booked.

Having said that, it has touched me how happy everybody is about weddings!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • smartie12smartie12 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies:)

We wouldn't need to worry about whether family can make it or not..... because we both don't have any!! (Apart from future sister in law who is coming to stay over xmas anyway)

The only people I would want at our wedding are friends who I would normally see on Xmas eve anyway.

Have tried ringing the registry office but its engaged.... will try again soon:eek:
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got through to the registery office:j

The lady I spoke to said it should be fine to get married on Xmas Eve admin wise but the superintendent wasn't there so I've got to phone back tomorrow morning to check she's not booked up already.

Getting a little bit excited now:o :D :j
  • Stephb1986_2Stephb1986_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    yay!!! well done!!

Dont forget its about you two not about everyone else! Are you having a reception afterwards or just a quiet meal with friends?

Steph xx
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    yay!!! well done!!

Dont forget its about you two not about everyone else! Are you having a reception afterwards or just a quiet meal with friends?

Steph xx

Not sure yet.... I know that it will be VERY difficult to find anywhere for a reception but I do know of quite a few pubs with function rooms.

I'd be quite happy to have a chinese after the wedding:D :rotfl:

I sooooo hope they can fit us in on Xmas eve... have now got my heart set on it:o We do have a few other dates around xmas that mean something to us if its not available.
  • LorneLorne Forumite
    770 Posts
    Good luck with your plans!
    Thanks for the advice Martin! :money:
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams