Overpayment on Mortgage

icon1.gifOverpayment On Mortgage
This is my first posting, please bear with me! I've posted this in the Mortgages thread by mistake, so here it is again!
We are looking to over pay our mortgage to enable us to stop working full time sooner.
We owe £41,900 (£23,500 Interest only, £18, 400 repayment), have 6 years left and are on a fixed Mortgage until 5/09 at a rate of 5.29%. We pay £413 per month.

We've had advice to overpay on the Interest only part.
I'd be grateful for any feedback.

user_online.gif [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com?subject=Reporting%20post%20http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=13641223"]report.gif[/EMAIL] edit.gif

Replies

• phizzimumphizzimum Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Hi Beaches, and welcome

I don't know much about interest only mortgages, so I can't comment on your question. Are there any penalties or limits on the amount you can overpay? Are these the same on both mortgages?

I'm sure you will get some more knowledgable replies soon
    weaving through the chaos...
  • dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well the first thimg to do is contact your lender and dig out the terms &
    conditions of your mortgage.
    What does it say will happen to the mortgage after the 5.29% fix has finished ?
    You should if you can afford too also try and fill a cash ISA each this year
    as the best buys are paying over 6%. so 2 x £3600=£7200
    Find out if you can overpay and if any limits ie £500 a month ( Nationwide )
    or 10% a year or unlimited overpayments and pay what you can afford.
    Overpaying and saving into tax free ISA,s will soon build up the funds to clear that mortgage GOOD LUCK
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The reason for the advice to overpay on the interest only part is that, if you overpay on the repayment part, the contractual repayments will fall (unless the term is reduced) and hence the ability to overpay in future may fall.

If you are allowed limitless overpayments, it probably doesn't make any difference which part you choose to overpay.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals