Resolving eBay's debt collection issue

Options
A neighbour recently stopped selling on eBay and forgot about a small amount she still owed to eBay for fees. They transferred the debt to a debt collection agency called something like Intrum Justicia... which doesn't stop phoning her. She is technically able to pay off the amount owed directly through the eBay account, without the extra 8 pounds charge that Intrum Justicia is tell hering to add to the debt. If she pays it off the eBay account (the debt collectors wrongly told her on the phone that she 'cannot', but technically she actually can go and make the payment online) then can the collections company continue to chase her for 'their' 8 quid?

Comments

• OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure where they stand legally, but a friend of mine got as far as this, and just paid his e-bay amount and that worked.

I do hope this is true for your friend, but it should at least be a starting point ;)
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Options
    Like OO I'm not sure on the legalities, i.e. if they have a right to chase for the extra, but if she pays it to eBay I think it's very unlikely that they'll chase her for the £8.

Intrum Justicia will still get a payment from eBay for 'doing their job' (we use a DCA occasionally at work, and even if the customer pays direct to us, the DCA still charge us for letters sent etc).
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I paid Ebay directly, phone the DCA up and told them that I was not going to pay their fees. I was told tough. My reply was along the lines of 'you cannot charge me for something I have neither bought, asked for or authorised. Sue me.' "Thats fine, we will clear your account" and never heard back.

Whether or not they will chase your friend is something only the DCA will tell you! They all seem to do different things!
  • kissmeimposh
    Options
    Thanks for your comments! We are also wondering who we can complain to about certain things the DCA have said and done.
  • skylight
    Options
    Thats the OFT - Office of Fair Trading. There are rules and regulations about how a DCA should act. But unless you have blatent lies in writing, there is little they can do. And the OFT are very busy with DCA complaints. It may take a while before they even respond.

But enough complaints means that eventually something will be done to the system in general.
  • kissmeimposh
    Options
    Thanks skylight. Maybe then she can CC Watchdog for a bit of a nudge.
  • Hi all, I'm in the same boat with Intrum Justicia - I had a small amount outstanding with Ebay (£13.33) which I paid direct to Ebay approx 3 weeks ago. I then started getting calls from Intrum Justicia about 2 weeks ago, & they call up to 5 times per day. They keep telling me I have not paid the amount despite the fact that my Ebay account is clear, I have a receipt & the money has gone from my account. I had a call from them yesterday, when the operative checked the notes on the account & apologised saying the account was clear, then this morning I had another call telling me they've added an £8 admin charge for non payment! The woman who called was very stroppy, tutting & huffing & shouting the odds & I just wondered if anyone had any idea where I stand with this? I have had no written communication from them, only telephone calls and based on the fact that the outstanding mount was cleared before they even contacted me, I'm assuming I cannot be chased for the £8 admin fee - is this correct??
  • kissmeimposh
    Options
    Hi all, I'm in the same boat with Intrum Justicia - I had a small amount outstanding with Ebay (£13.33) which I paid direct to Ebay approx 3 weeks ago. I then started getting calls from Intrum Justicia about 2 weeks ago, & they call up to 5 times per day. They keep telling me I have not paid the amount despite the fact that my Ebay account is clear, I have a receipt & the money has gone from my account. I had a call from them yesterday, when the operative checked the notes on the account & apologised saying the account was clear, then this morning I had another call telling me they've added an £8 admin charge for non payment! The woman who called was very stroppy, tutting & huffing & shouting the odds & I just wondered if anyone had any idea where I stand with this? I have had no written communication from them, only telephone calls and based on the fact that the outstanding mount was cleared before they even contacted me, I'm assuming I cannot be chased for the £8 admin fee - is this correct??

If you do phone them use a number on justsaynoto0870.com and don't let them earn from your phonecall. The eBay debt I spoke about was paid in full and when Intrum was told of this and that a complaint for harassment would be made a 'lady' there responded that they are allowed to phone 3 times per day before it is consdiered harrassment, she said the calls would continue and in fact they have increased and added text messaging since clarification was made about the cleared debt which was paid directdly to Ebay. They said that until eBay informs them, they cannot stop. On suggesting that they contact eBay they said they wait for eBay's periodic notifications and there is no prediction as to when the next one would occur.
  • NickWarren_2
    Options
    have been in a similar position with these cowboys. they wanted to add a 25 pound charge for £30 of fees. so i paid ebay the £30 directly and when intrum called for the millionth time i told them where they could stick their invoice. never heard from them again lol
    War does not decide who is right, It decides who is left.
  • skylight
    Options
    3 times a day? There is no legal minimum or maximum with regards to harrassment. If you deem 1 call a day to be harassment or 3 a week, then it is. (Obviously it has to be reasonable and 1 call a week could be regarded as reasonable).

If the DCA has their own policy of harassment, then thats up to them, but you can complain! Go to the DWF board and search for harassment, there are template letters there for you to send to the DCA, which need to be done before you put in a complaint.

And look at it another way - while they are hassling you, they are not hassling the little old lady who cannot cope with it all. And its costing them a fortune, cos you aren't going to pay something you don't own!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure