Job Advice what direction to head in

Options
Hi all

Need some advice about my current career! I am in my mid thirties :eek: and am currently working for a big company doing the following jobs;

admin (mainly statistic info for reports etc)
payroll (not working out tax or ni just peoples hours and sick pay etc)
hr (again not full hr just lickle bits as we have no hr on site)
and now finance have just completed 3 finance courses in oracle financials
have completed an excel intermediate course and am doing the advanced one soon, plus hopefully doing an nvq in admin

Used to work in retail then in mid twenties ended up doing what I'm doing now.

Did think about doing a CIPD course (hr related) but after doing the finance courses I'm thinking of heading that way.

So decisions decisons, never one to study at school left with really poor marks so feel like i am making up for lost time now. Want to earn more money so I can afford the house in the country :D so looking for a way to get there!

Options for me at the moment are going back to college (evenings) to do my maths gcse (failed at school) and then going on to perhaps a-level maths :eek: or an aat course (accounting) or studying for a qualification in hr. leaning towards the maths/accounting option but not sure!

help!:eek:

Comments

• elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm no expert in this field but your maths GCSE sounds like a good place to start, especially as you can do it while you think about exactly what irection to head in. I'd go with whatever you enjoy most. sounds like you like both HR an accounts so either would be good for you. Does one pay more than the other? are the expected working hours the same? can you freelance? would you want to freelance anyway? what about part time opportunities in each area if ever you want to cut back?
  • TomandBarbara
    Options
    yes do like both, but think I may enjoy the accounting side more than the hr side if I took it further. The hr jobs entail things that I'm not sure I would enjoy doing though it may be just a lack of confidence of having no experience in that field that may be making me say that! Sorry not sure if that paragraph made any sense!

Have no idea what pays more or the working hours. Am being lazy (as normal) and have not researched anything in great depth. Not sure about freelancing not something I have thought about (surprise surprise).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure