Help and advice please!!!!!!!!

Options
Hi all, it's a while since I posted but here goes.

Basically my DH has been discharged from the forces:mad: . He has an investigation currently going on but his official discharge date is tomorrow and it is going to be some time before the decision is released. Basically he is fighting as he feels he has been bullied out of his job.

He does have another job that he started this week :D but the wages are less than half what he was earning in the forces. I have tried to get a job but with no available childcare where we are, and my disability restricting my mobility, I have not been successful.

I write reviews on Dooyoo, Ciao and Epinions. I sell on Ebay, and I complete online surveys.

What I was wondering was; is there any other means of making a decent income online:confused: . I did try herbalife once, but that was just a total scam. I don't bother with the "get rich quick" schemes as they are just a load of old rubbish.

Does anyone out there know of any legitimate home work that could possibly be available? I have a degree, am a blooming good typist, and am undertaking a professional proofreading course to see if I can get freelance work in that field.

Any help/advice/pointers would be gratefully appreciated. We have a lot of debt and we are totally confused and worried about the future.

Thank you all

Di xx
LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!

Comments

• clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi bonsibabe,

I recognise you from dooyoo.

I work part-time for AQA. I have made £400 (before tax) with them when I have focussed as I have a full-time job. Usually I make about £150 per month but you can log on and off as/when you want.

The address is: http://www.63336.com

They aren't looking for researchers for the UK at the moment but this changes daily. There is also an AQA thread on here so if you search for it you will find out more info. I quite enjoy the work and it has paid a few of my bills in the last few months. Good luck!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • Scaredy_Cat_3
    Scaredy_Cat_3 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bonsibabe - sorry to hear you are having such problems.

I don't know if it's any help, but I heard of a job where you are kind of a computer help desk person, but working from home. You have to do a test to make sure your computer is of the correct specification for the job. I can't remember much else about it. I first heard of it elsewhere, but I'm sure it's also been mentioned on here. If you are interested, and if no-one else knows what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll do a little hunt around and see if I can find any more info.

Best of luck to you both.
  • FROSTYFRECKLE
    Options
    Hi Scaredy Cat,

The company you are thinking about is called Teletech. Website for Bonsibabe (and anyone else) to apply to is

http://www.hirepoint.com/athome

There is thread about it on the Employment board if anyone wants more info. Good luck.
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'm feeling a little more positive today as we are now officially a civilian family and not tied to the uniform any more. I'm mostly looking forward to getting out of army accommodation and into our own house where we can decorate it any way we want and do what we like to the garden! And a little more stability for my kids which is great. But the best thing is knowing i never have to put DH on a plane again and wonder for 6 months if he is coming home or not!

Again, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into these. Di x
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
  • English_Bob
    Options
    hey bonsiebabe,
    not that it it is much advise, but the first thing to do is reduce your outgoings, gas/electric etc by getting the best deal. Then make sure your loans / credit cards are not costing you too much (stooze). then, when it comes to a job, mention to your prospective employer you can get childcare vouchers. this benefits THEM as much as it does you. All this sound obvious, but if your methodical about money saving, you can make it work. All the info you need is on this site, i'm sure everyone here wishes your family the best of luck in the future.
    It's tough, but as a family, you'll pull through.

bob
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're wanting work from home, but not always AT home then some kind of direct selling / party plan could work for you. I'm just starting with the body shop at home but there are also a lot of other companies (pampered chef, tish tash toys, etc) who do the same thing. The idea is that you buy your starter kit (£95 for the body shop one) and take it to parties in other peoples homes. you demo the products for them and take their orders. you keep a percentage of the order value as your payment. At each party you ask the guests if anyone else wants a party so hopefully your business expands as you get more than one booking at each party. If you're interested in learning more take a look at the body shop thread or you can PM me.
  • bonsibabe
    Options
    Hi English Bob. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully we are going to get re-housed by the council really soon and will be able to seriously get on with moneysaving. I already do a little but when we have our own place it will be much much easier to do a lot more. We are looking at our finances at the minute and are looking at how to reduce as much as possible from the bills that we already pay. I have been a bit of a cheapskate at the minute, I refuse to get a land line put in here till we have our own place so have been using my mum and dad's phone for calling people! We are just waiting for a meeting with the investigator in a few days to get a progress update on the investigation.

Elliep - hi and thanks for the advice. The problem at the moment is that ready cash to buy starter kits is non-existent but I will definitely keep it in mind for when we get settled and have some cash coming in that we can save up.

Thanks to you all for the messages of support - we both really appreciate them xxx
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah the money for the starter kit can be quite offputting. It is possible to buy on credit and earn it back before the bill is due but I' be wary of doing it that way in case it didn't work out. Don't worry if it's not for you right now. English Bob has made some really good suggestions so hopefully that type of thing will help while you figure out what else to do. You must be really worrying at the moment and I wish you all the best.
  • bonsibabe
    Options
    Hi elliep

Yeah it is a bit worrying wondering where the money for paying the bills is going to come from but we will manage somehow. I keep telling myself that in the hope that a miracle will happen lol. There is no point in burying my head in the sand because that will just make things worse. I have just found a box of army kit that we bought for DH just before his last tour so that will be getting photo'd and put on ebay. It's all in mint condition so we should make a few quid from it, which can be paid straight into the bank and used to pay something!

We are just waiting to find out if the british legion would be in a position to help us financially in the short term. If we can at least get our car paid off, then we could sell that and use the money to pay the largest loan off and buy a smaller, second hand car. in fact my friend has a couple so we could have a motor each for less than we are paying out on this one.

We would then only have one loan to pay off and could have that done quite quickly.

Thanks again for the support, muchly appreciated

Di xx
  • RichOneday_2
    RichOneday_2 Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to get freelance typing work, or any type of freelance work for that matter, the two sites which seem to be booming are:

setyourrate.com and peopleperhour.com

May be worth a look.
    Gt NW 1/2 Marathon 21/2/2010 (Target=1:22:59) (6:20/mile) 1:22:47 (6:19):j:j
    Blackpool Marathon 11/4/2010 (Target=2:59:59) (6:52/mile)
    Abingdon Marathon 17/10/2010, (Target=2:48:57) (6:27/mile)
    09/10 Race Results : http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=103461
    Racing Plans/Results - Post 3844 (page193)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure