We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Repairing Credit Rating?

Hey, (and as per a prev thread on bank accounts)
I've pretty much had a shocking credit record since I was about 19...in the end by 22 I had no bank account, couldn't get a contract phone never mind anything else. Now I've pretty much avoided applying for anything at all until now.
I've moved into my own flat (privately) and have a steady monthly income. I'm trying my best to get some way to repairing my credit rating (I'm pretty sure most of my debts and CCJ's have been satisfied, but without a debit card or chequebook I can't get on the credit agencies to make sure everything is updated) and need a bank account, purely for my salary as it was going into my Mum's before.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do to try and repair my creedit rating, as I'm not having much luck trying to get a bank account cos I don't have much ID?!

Comments

  • el_nino_5
    el_nino_5 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Sign up for a Basic Bank account at Halifax, its called easycard, and its a debit card!, no credit check is made and you can sign up online, also this account has online banking which is excellent!
  • Kandipandi
    Kandipandi Posts: 1,656 Forumite
    You can sign up for a cash plus card - no credit check no ID etc, its a prepaid card - you top it up at the post office and use it to buy online etc. There is a £4.95 fee per month, but they offer this as an interest free loan and you pay them each month, if you make the payments on time you get a nice big tick on your credit rating. I have one and its brilliant. I can shop online etc and no more scary credit cards.
    You can stand there and agonize........
    Till your agony's your heaviest load. (Emily Saliers)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.