'Little Sister's MoneySaving Tips' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• Your sis is definitely showing promise! Well done, that girl!
  • My family don't listen to my moneysaving advice, I had to force my dad to change his bank account.

But as soon as they hear your advice on the radio, they take it in.

Maybe if I advise your family (other than your little sis) and you advise mine, then we'll have this sorted!

Keep up the good work
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats so sweet! And she's so young! Aww..... hugs to her.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021.......... Bunny hugger
    October 2021: aiming for £5,000 new money for premium bonds or a car.
  • This happens the whole time. There are even instances when it's cheaper to buy the exact same quantity in 2 smaller packs that buying one large pack.
    e.g. Currently in Asda, Marmite 500g is £4.59, while 250g is just £2. In Tesco 16 Dairylea triangles are £1.64 while 8 are just 46p - buying two 8-packs will save you 72p!

If you don't have the head for all these calculations http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk is the easiest way to make sure that you always pick the right quantity to get the lowest price.
  • camajcamaj Forumite
    504 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    jonsteel wrote: »
    This happens the whole time. There are even instances when it's cheaper to buy the exact same quantity in 2 smaller packs that buying one large pack.

One thing I've noticed, is that sometimes it's often cheaper to buy the big item than the small item when the big item is on offer. So 500g of sugar might be £1 but 1kg might be £0.75 after discount. A lot of people won't expect something to be so cheap that it's cheaper than a small size. Admittedly it's not always as clear cut as that
  • OptimisticpairOptimisticpair Forumite
    632 Posts
    ✭✭
    jonsteel wrote: »
    This happens the whole time. There are even instances when it's cheaper to buy the exact same quantity in 2 smaller packs that buying one large pack.
    e.g. Currently in Asda, Marmite 500g is £4.59, while 250g is just £2. In Tesco 16 Dairylea triangles are £1.64 while 8 are just 46p - buying two 8-packs will save you 72p!

If you don't have the head for all these calculations http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk is the easiest way to make sure that you always pick the right quantity to get the lowest price.

Tesco do it on one of their own brand coffee also. 2 small ones are cheaper per 100g than a large on. The price per kilo / g was a real boon.

Martin, Awwww bless her and thanks, that's a nice tale to share.

Currently I'm having fun taking my OH shopping when we are together and make the supermarket trip a game of hunt the bargains.
    No longer half of Optimisticpair

• Well done Talya:T :T :T :T She's hot on your heels! At least you know there is someone in the family you can leave the hierloom too;) :D
    I also remember the words of my friends, but I would rather have enemies than friends like you :p

:p would like to make it known that ZubeZubes avvy is a DHN, she's not dancing :o
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides