Starting new job- allocation of tax code

Options
I am about to start a new job and have my P45 from my old job to hand in.

MY question is about my tax code for the previous job (50T)- will this tax code be used in my new job?

Secondally upon ending my last job i had been taxed £150. Around 10 weeks have lapsed since then so obviously i have not used my tax allowance for these weeks. Will i recieve a tax rebate for these weeks or will the code only become actioned for work in my new job?

Hope you can help and that i havent confused you too much with my poor explanations!

Comments

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The use of the T in your tax code suggests that HMRC are reviewing your entitlement.

I believe your new employer would be expected to use the code included on your P45.

Unless it operates on a Month 1/Week 1 basis, then your tax allowance will be available on a cumulative basis and therefore the 10 weeks you have not received pay will be taken into account. With a tax code of 50, it doesn't seem likely to me that you could be earning so little that you wouldn't be paying any tax at all.
  • laurenzo99
    laurenzo99 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    thank you for ypur reply.

It is T for no reason apparently! I have my tax code split between 3 jobs and the 50T is for relief work which i hardly do at all.

So when i recieve my first wage from my new employer (will only be around £30 net as short shift) will i recieve a tax rebate even though the tax rebate is for tax taken off by a different employer?

Plus what will happen at the end of the tax year?
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    laurenzo99 wrote: »

It is T for no reason apparently! I have my tax code split between 3 jobs and the 50T is for relief work which i hardly do at all.

You have just stated the reason for your tax code to have T. It's because your tax code is split over 3 jobs and your whole situation will need reviewing at the end of the tax year to make sure the codes were allocated correctly.
    So when i recieve my first wage from my new employer (will only be around £30 net as short shift) will i recieve a tax rebate even though the tax rebate is for tax taken off by a different employer?

If you are due one then yes.

Plus what will happen at the end of the tax year?

Your situation will be reviewed. They will look at your total income for the tax year and make any adjustments to your tax codes. You should get a coding notice to explain it all.
  • laurenzo99
    Options
    thanks again for the reply.

My tax situation is so complicated and i am still waiting for my tax rebate from last year (15 weeks after sending in all the necessary documents!)
  • laurenzo99
    Options
    adding to my previous questions....

I have been taxed £150 so far from my previous employer, which is stated on my P45.

Upon starting with my new employer i will recieve some of this tax back as a rebate and then as the tax year roles on will recieve more back if i do not do much relief work with my new emplyer.

So at the end of the tax year it may stand that i have £125 tax due back from previous employer and £0 tax from new employer- will this make it really compicated to claim back since my original p45 states i am owed £50 tax back but p60 shows i only am owed £125???
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    laurenzo99 wrote: »
    So at the end of the tax year it may stand that i have £125 tax due back from previous employer and £0 tax from new employer- will this make it really compicated to claim back since my original p45 states i am owed £50 tax back but p60 shows i only am owed £125???

Forget which employer you paid tax to - it does not matter. All the tax goes to HMRC.

At the end of the tax year HMRC will take the totals from all of your P60s to work out your total income for the tax year. They will then look at tax paid against what tax should have been paid.

Your tax codes for the next tax year will then be adjusted(if necessary) to take into account any tax owing or rebate owing. If you are owed money you could request it at that point.

You can of course work it out yourself when you get all of your P60s and apply for a rebate if you are due one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure