terminal illness and debt-Help!

Options
My dad has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and I have discovered that he has an £8000 debt. Obviously it is a difficult time and this is the last thing I want to be talking about with him, but I am concerned that when the time comes I may be responsible for paying it back.
He does not own his own property and has no savings.Can someone please offer some advice as to where I stand.
Many Thanks :confused:
Casey

Comments

• annamc75
    annamc75 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    If there is no estate when he dies and you didnt co sign any of the debt with him then surely there is no chance that you would be expected to pay it (at least this is what logic dictates).
    I am sure that if this advice is wrong then someone will be along soon to correct it.
    If nothing else this post acts as a bump.

Anna

Thoughts with you and your family at this time.
    £10 per day Challenge (Oct)

£175 in paypal
    £15 from consumer pulse
    £5 M&S Voucher - thanks to direct line quote
  • KPanton
    KPanton Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd telephone either the CAB or the CCCS, the latter helped me no end, and I'm sure could give you a straight yes or no answer on this matter, I imagine you'll not be liable, anyways, so try not to worry about this too.

http://www.cccs.co.uk/
  • gettingbetter
    gettingbetter Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Casey sorry to hear about your dad
    does he have life insurance, my oh was terminally ill and had life insurance with critical illness cover.

Is worth having a word with your dad or looking through his paperwork, was just a thought

kas
    br no 188 ;) AD 17th apr 09:D
    :Dmortgage free 22/5/09:D
    :Ddebt free 11/8/09:D
    :j#18 £2 saver = £ :T sealed pot #333
    silent member of mikes mob
    i will lose weight :rolleyes: i will sort my house :o
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options
    casey wrote: »
    My dad has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and I have discovered that he has an £8000 debt. Obviously it is a difficult time and this is the last thing I want to be talking about with him, but I am concerned that when the time comes I may be responsible for paying it back.
    He does not own his own property and has no savings.Can someone please offer some advice as to where I stand.
    Many Thanks :confused:

The debt will be the liability of the estate - if it has no value there's no one they can chase. Forget about it.

If your father is on a low income and has no savings you should focus your efforts on getting him all the care and extra benefits he is entitled to, to make his life easier and yours when caring for him - there are special rules and fast tracking for terminal illness
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069010/
    http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=4349
    http://www.ifishoulddie.co.uk/terminal-life-threatening-illness-c40.html
  • CCCS_Matthew
    CCCS_Matthew Posts: 922 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there Casey,

Sorry to hear about your situation with your Father.

First things first, as it's already been mentioned you would not be liable for any debt that is left behind when your Father departs. The creditors can make a claim on his estate, but if he has no assets then there is nothing to claim against and the debt will be written off.

I would be inclined to write a letter on behalf of your Father asking the creditors in light of your Father's health to consider writing the debts off, as clearly he is not in a position pay the debts off. Whether the creditors would be willing to do this would be really down to their discretion, but in cases such as this it is something that can happen.

If the creditors are not willing to do this, then you could consider making small token payments to the creditors. Don't pay anything more than your Father can afford to pay, and you are certainly not obliged to pay anything yourself either. If you would like to discuss this process in more detail, please call us on 0800 138 1111 and we can help discuss further.

Hope this helps,
    CCCS
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,642 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Spot on advice from CCCS_Matthew.
    Sorry about your dad.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure