Card authorisations for card that is now on a DMP plan

Options
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me with this one. I booked a hotel room for next Sunday evening at the beginning of the year and paid with a credit card that is now included in my DMP. The card has been destroyed but the account is still open and is in arrears but we have been paying it through our DMP since May.

Have I paid for the room already on my card if they took my card details and if so I cant present the card at check in or out as we cut it up. I feel a bit awkward phoning the hotel. If it has not been paid but the room charge has been secured on the card what happens now ?

Thanks in advance

K xx

Comments

• longforthesun
    Options
    Krasnoludek - Hotels ask for card details to secure the booking in the event you do not turn up they can charge your card with the room rate however when you come to check out you can choose to pay for the room by cash or by any other card.
    February 2013 NSD - 4
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have all your Card statements. I would think that if the payment is on the statement, then it was paid for, and that you are now paying it off with interest via the CC company.
    But more knowledgeable people are sure to know for sure.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • longforthesun
    Options
    sorry should have said they will only have charged you the room rate at the time of booking if it was a special rate that has to be paid for in advance. If it was a standard rate then the hotel will not have charged you already.
    February 2013 NSD - 4
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on the hotel I'm afraid - there is no hard and fast rule.

I'd ring them and ask if the costs have been deducted; no need to mention your current position - if asked you could say you have now cancelled the card which is true. Many people cancel cards if they are lost or stolen in any event.
  • justthisonce_2
    Options
    I have never been charged until the end of my stay. Why not cancel and rebook, do you have a debit card perhaps?
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    Anytime I have booked a hotel, they have held the card for security and then asked how I would like to pay on the day. The other thing is, you can usually (as long as it is not a special offer) cancel the room right up to the day (without charge)so I would say it is unlikely that anything has been debited to your card balance.

Best of luck and enjoy your night in the hotel!!
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills