heated airers for drying laundry

Options
I came across an electric airer yesterday. i was going to buy one, thinking it would save putting the central heating on in winter.

But i would probably use both.

Has anyone got one, and would they recommend? It is apparently about 1p an hour to run, but i'd like to know if it's worth the initial outlay.

thanks in advance if you can help!

Comments

• Sledge_2
    Sledge_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    My other half bought one of these, she paid £40 for it, and yes it is cheap to run, but as only the bars are heated; the clothing in contact dries very quickly, the rest of the clothing dries at the same rate as a normal airer would permit.

As for the 1p per hour, my other half used to leave it on all day. Doing the sums, you can get a condensing tumble dryer for less than £250, and it'll dry all of your clothes in an hour, and cost about 2-3 times in power as using the airer for a day.

Personally I wouldn't recommend them, and during the winter when your radiators are on, it'd be more cost effective to just buy a few 'radiator airers' that hang on the radiators and let you hang your washing to dry.

I love animals; I've eaten lots of them :rotfl:

• andrione1
    andrione1 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that, it would drive me mad if i had to keep moving the clothes around the bars to dry. i'll stick to my normal airer and radiators. :)
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Stand a floor standing fan next to the airer. The moving air will dry out clothes a lot quicker and they wont be as stiff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure