FTB Help needed

Options
Hi there everyone,

Me and my hubby are wanting to buy our own home but are really struggling and could do with some sound advice from you great folk!!!

The problem is that my hubby is a non eu national and there fore does not yet have indefinate leave to remain in the uk (he will have in approx 6 weeks). He is here on a 2 year settlemnt marriage visa and has the right to work. The visa will run out in a few weeks and then he will gain the right to remain here as long as he wants.

He works full time and I work part time. Our joint income is approx £30,000 inc both wages, tax credits and child benefits for our daughter. We have no savings but could find a 5 % deposit with help from my parents.

We are looking at houses of around £75-£80,000 so need a mortgage of £76,000 maximum.

We did have mortgage agreement in principal with n***est but it was only valid for 3 months and we didnt find a suitable house in that time and now it has ran out they will not take us back on.

We have no existing loans or credit apart from my student loans from the govt so we dont have a particularly good credit score.

We need advice on what to do next as we have now seen a house we like but cannot get a mortgage!! Does anyone have any advise for us in our situation or know anyone who has got a mortgage without right to remain in the uk? (it used to be allowed and happen frequently until about 12 months ago). Or do you think its best to wait until we get the next visa in a few weeks then most banks will allow us to try for mortgages with them?

Are all lenders now asking for 10% deposits or was that just our estate agent employed mortgage broker fobbing us off so we didnt go elsewhere?

Any help in this complicated situation would be appreciated!

Thanks all

Lea x
Lea :confused:

Comments

• lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry just realised I posted on the wrong board! Need a mortgage before we can be mortgage free doh!!
    Lea :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport