Advice Regarding Attachment Of Earnings Please

Hi all just joined site and must say what a great site it is and a good job you are all doing .
I really need some advice please , this is my situation. I have £500 of council tax arrears from last year which I have heard nothing about up until now and agree that I do owe them.
Only today I received a letter from council advising me that they have applied an attachment of earnings to my pay taking 17% of my wage this works out at £292.03 for the next 2 months , I dont even have this surplus from my wages after paying all my rent and bills ,
My questions are can they just go straight for AOE without receiving anything from courts ect and can I do anything about this now it has been put in place , as I say I dont even have £292.03 spare from my wages.
I am really upset about this and really dont know what to do.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you


  • gilligansyle
    gilligansyle Posts: 4,124 Forumite
    Not an expert, and someone will know better than me, but you should have received a liability order, in which you would put your employer details. in that it states the rate at which they can take it, and yes, they can and will take it. Council tax is classed as a priority debt.

    the liability form does not even ask about outgoings, it is worked out on x% of first so many hundred and then y% of the next etc.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

    "The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • coco1277_2
    Thank you for your reply
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Not something I know a huge amount about, but there is some information on liability orders and AOE's here:

    Pages marked 16 and 17 in the bottom corners I think.
    Normally payments are taken one at a time. If
    this will cause you hardship, you can ask the council to accept
    smaller voluntary payments instead. Explain to the council why
    you cannot afford the higher amount.The council does not
    have to agree to let you pay less but it is worth trying. If the
    council does not agree, contact a local advice centre, your
    local councillor or contact us for advice

    Many councils also have some information on their websites as well.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

    IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • coco1277_2
    Thanks very much Fermi , will have a read through that now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards