Space Boards - anything the same (and cheaper)?

Options
Trying to up the insulation in the loft but also to board it for some light storage. Raising the level of the joists isn't an ideal solution as the head room is already very limited (first floor goes right into the eaves).

Knauf Space boards seemed a good solution to bring the insulation up to the right u value (?) whilst still allowing for boarding. However, they aren't exactly cheap.

I've noticed that they are basically extruded polystyrene boards. Is there anything else the same but 'unbranded' that would work out cheaper. If there is, where can I find them?

And, if someone came along to do an energy assessment, how could I prove that I'd come up with a solution with the right u value (?) without getting out a receipt that said 'space boards'.

Hope that makes sense!

Comments

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you - I have checked out the grants. Firstly, I'm not eligible for the grants and, secondly, the subsidised insulation that is available to everyone does not meet my requirements, as I outlined above.

Perhaps I should clarify, the issue isn't one of finance or affordability. It is that, as a moneysaver, I resent paying over the odds for a 'branded' product if the same product is available at a lower price. I thought it was worth posting a quick question to see if anyone had experience of another product of the same spec. If not, I'll just go and buy the Space Boards.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you can get different boards that are cheaper as I looked into this last year. Try a builder merchant I think they dont normal stock them and order on request or they did in my area
  • Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Yes you can get different boards that are cheaper as I looked into this last year. Try a builder merchant I think they dont normal stock them and order on request or they did in my area

That was my thought. However, Space Boards are a DIY only product. Perhaps you could tell me what it was you asked for and what products they suggested as an equivalent?
  • Fred_Bear_2
    Fred_Bear_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Peartree, I intend doing the same thing as you for roughly the same reason. What u-value are you aiming for and what thickness of insulation will this involve? I have 100mm of glass fibre already but I'm not sure what to do next. I want to keep the total thickness down like you.
    Fred
  • lovelyjubbly
    Options
    We used kingspan, dont know if it is what you are looking for but it worked for us we were able to board our loft on top of this. (though we were luck enough to get ours from a builidng site (in their skip)as they were off cuts and we just put them all together to fit.
    http://www.bmdinsulation.com/celotex-kingspan-insulation.html.htm
    look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We had exactly the same question a few months ago...in the end we were told that the boards really weren't that much use in terms of insulation value and pretty expensive. We did like lovelyjubbly and just did topped up the under the floor insulation and then had the flooring put back on top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure