Get rid of a TV

I have a TV which has decently died. In the past i would take a broken tv to a local tip. I heard this is not allowed now. Is that correct? How would one get rid of a TV?
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Call your council's Waste/Recycling department, or look up their Internet pages - they are likely to offer a collection and disposal service. Whether they charge for it or collect it for free depends on the council.

Also, if you buy a new TV, some retailers offer a disposal service for your old TV - again, some do it for 'free', some charge separately (and some don't do it at all).
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    I got rid of my TV Via the internet on Ebay. I advertised that it was faulty/broken. You get people on there who look for faulty TV's for spares/repairs etc. I started the bidding at £1 and it went for £20 :) So not only did i get a couple of quid out of it but i got it taken away for free too :)
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take it to a local TV repairer, they told me it was not worth repairing as it needed a new tube, even though it was only 18 months old, but they gave me £5 for the TV.
  • wazza wrote:
    I have a TV which has decently died. In the past i would take a broken tv to a local tip. I heard this is not allowed now. Is that correct? How would one get rid of a TV?

It is allowed, the new regulations WEEE(Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment) Regulations, mean in simple terms that the councils cannot landfill electrical equipment, it must be recycled or disposed of in a controlled manner.

Therefore your council must provide the facilities to do this, they will probably have a seperate storage point at your local Civic Amenity site.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2009 Challenge
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2009 Challenge £1,000 overpayment.
    Total Mortgage £90,000 (as at 01/01/09)
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    they have a place at our local tip where u can leave tvs and electronic stuff....

AFAIK there's no problem...
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    thanks for the replies. i will see if i can get it going. the tv went pop and lost the sound. i hope it is only the speaker thats gone and not the sound circuit board. the tv is fairly old and is in the spare room so no loss.

now have to look for a replacement
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure