Paying inheritance off mortgage

Options
Hi

I've been lurking for a while and I'm a MFW. I'd be grateful for a few thoughts/ideas....

My partner and I are 28 and 29 and are due to receive upto £20,000 inheritance in the next few months. We would like to reduce our mortgage and ideally try to pay it off by age 40ish. It is currently £95,000 outstanding over 22 years. Our deal lets us overpay upto £499 a month and we are fixed at 6.05% for 5 years until May 2013.

Of the £20,000, we would like to put £5000 aside in savings leaving £15,000 for overpayments. I would like advice on the best way to do this i.e. put the £20,000 in one account to maximise interest and make 30 overpayments or put the £5000 into an ISA and keep the £15,000 separate for overpayments? or another thought..would it be worth keeping the £20,000 and switching to an offset mortgage once our fixed rate is up? we can make upto £150 a month overpayments from our own money until the fixed rate is up.:confused:

We don't have any debts apart from the mortgage.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ask your mortgage provider how much you are allowed to pay as capital repayments each year first. A lot seem to say 10% per year which would be £9,500.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • mangomango
    mangomango Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Rebob, I will look into it.
    So I may only be able to repay a max of £9500 a year inc overpayments?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure