Hoover 'The One' Upright Vacuum Cleaner

Options
Until 8.11.2005 Makro are selling the hoover 'The One' Upright Vacuum Cleaner
for £99.99 plus V.A.T.

Recommended selling price is £229.

Comet are selling it at £199.99
Argos " " " " £199.95 and
John Lewis at £189.

Comet Link provided for description of vacuum cleaner.

I would say a good buy if you are looking for a new vacuum cleaner.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Comments

• Hootie19
    Hootie19 Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have one, but although that may be a good price, is it a good buy??

This is a bit of the Which? report on it. It doesn't make for good reading, unfortunately, although Hoover may of course have made improvements since this report was produced.

http://trial.which.co.uk/house_and_home.php?p_id=174&source=goog&keyword=vacuum+compare&whichaa=2

Sorry, I know it's a huge url, but for some reason, I can't put a !!!!!!! link in - it replaces !!!!!!! with !!!!.

Edited to say: actually the link's not that long lol. It looked much longer when I previewed the post!!
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    I had a lot of problems with this model. The bendy tube connecting the front bit to the sucking bit (technical, I know ;)) melted :eek: and I don't even do that much vacuuming ;) All this happened within the first 6 months, so I wasn't best pleased :(
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There was a news article on the main news of this a while ago when Which reviewed it and branded it the worst vacuum cleaner they'd ever seen or something. I remember reading it and thinking how funny it was (but also feeling sorry for the poor people who end up buying one).

You have my sympathies BoltonMinx!

To summarise ... avoid it like the plague. Plague I tells yous. :eek: :eek: :eek: vomit-smiley-002.gif :rotfl:

Edit: I have a fantastic memory, I really do: http://www.which.net/press/releases/whichmagazine/041007_hoover_nr.html
  • jawa1
    jawa1 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    gizmoleeds wrote:
    There was a news article on the main news of this a while ago when Which reviewed it and branded it the worst vacuum cleaner they'd ever seen or something. I remember reading it and thinking how funny it was (but also feeling sorry for the poor people who end up buying one).

You have my sympathies BoltonMinx!

To summarise ... avoid it like the plague. Plague I tells yous. :eek: :eek: :eek: vomit-smiley-002.gif :rotfl:

Edit: I have a fantastic memory, I really do: http://www.which.net/press/releases/whichmagazine/041007_hoover_nr.html

thanks for the info.

Has anyone got the full review of the best buys etc from which?

Morphy Richards 73320 Cyclonic Upright Bagless Vac - (Silver / Turq)
    at tesco is only £56.97 but no idea if ti is any good?
  • cousinjack_2
    Options
    help! have been looking for new vacuum, what are the Dysons like? they are expensive but are they worth it? any help would be appreciated as have only used hoover uprights in the past. (I have a lot of hard flooring and carpet)
  • BritishBeef
    Options
    cousinjack wrote:
    help! have been looking for new vacuum, what are the Dysons like? they are expensive but are they worth it? any help would be appreciated as have only used hoover uprights in the past. (I have a lot of hard flooring and carpet)

Hi Cousinjack,

I have the Dyson DC07. After having numerous different vacuums we decided to try a Dyson. We had been put off by the price but we were fed up with the poor performance of our previous ones.

Dysons are very good quality and extremely robust. Ours has fallen down the stairs twice! Even if any parts do break, you can a replacement for any part (and for a reasonable price).

POWER! They are awesome in sucking power. They have no loss of suction ever and I can vouch for that. Also the emptying and design is so straight forward and well thought out.

IMHO they are well worth every penny.

With the introduction of the new Dyson Ball range, the older versions (like mine) are available at a much more affordable price.

You can get the DC07 for £144 inc. delivery from AMAZON

The DC07 All Floors may be the one for you though if you have multiple floor surfaces. You can get one for £199.99 inc delivery from Comet.
    And no, I don't work for Dyson!

Hope that helps.
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    The latest Which Magazine (Nov 2005) says this about The One Touch Hoover model - relaunched from the original cleaner:

Sadly both the Air Rider and Hoover did badly in our tests. The One Touch begins promisingly, collecting around 70% of dust when empty. But picking up dwindles to about half when the machine fills. Neither of the new vacs coped well with pet hair, but both models achieved much better results on laminate floors, and the Hoover cleans floorboards well. In Summary, the Hoover is better than it's predecessor, and good on hard floors but we don't recommend it for carpet cleaning. It scored 43% in their tests.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • katskorner
    Options
    cousinjack wrote:

I have a Dyson DC07 Animal and I love it. I have had Dyson's for years and my home is noticibly cleaner now - I was shocked as to how much they pick up when you first have one - it makes you feel like you never cleaned before!

I have a cat so we get loads of pet hair and it copes no problem with it. They are easy to use, emplty and I find them easy to carry too. Plus you can reach the whole way up the stairs with the tube on the upright. I want a second one for upstairs now I am pregnant so that I don't have to carry it or compromise with my spare Vax!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    I saw an ad on telly last night for an Electrolux? cleaner that cleans its own filters. So what do you have to do with all these "lifetime" filters on other machines, such as Dysons? Sling them in the washing machine every five minutes?
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • katskorner
    Options
    gromituk wrote:
    I saw an ad on telly last night for an Electrolux? cleaner that cleans its own filters. So what do you have to do with all these "lifetime" filters on other machines, such as Dysons? Sling them in the washing machine every five minutes?

You are supposed to wash them every six months with the Dyson ones but to be honest I have never remembered yet and I have not noticed any difference in performance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport