Mistaken Identity

Options
This isn’t really a debt problem, but I hoped that with the expertise shown in this board someone would be able to advise me.

For the last few years I have been aware that there is another person with the SAME NAME & DOB as me. For a number of year this didn’t really cause any problems – just the odd c/c company telling me I already had the card I was applying for etc.. That is until recently. When applying for credit last year I was refused – Never having any problems before I sent for a copy of my credit file. It seems a certain c/c company had placed a default on my account for credit card I have never had - they also linked my address with an address that had nothing to do with me. As a result all the bad credit from the other person was being attributed to me. I eventually got this sorted and the default and linked address have now been taken off. My problem now is I get numerous letters from various debt collection companies chasing for money I do not owe them. Each time I contact them to explain the mistake, but obviously this can sometimes be difficult.

Is this happening because the addresses have been linked on my credit file? Or because I moved 18months ago so I have a recent entry on the electrol role?

Is there anyway I can stop this happening? I am getting married in May, will this stop these letters or will my previous name mean that they will stop contact me?

I would just like to add my congratulation to everyone that has got themselves out of debt or is working on it. I can understand how hard it can be contacting these type of companies, I panic, and I can imagine it being so much worse if they are your debts.

MAny Thanks!

Comments

• $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this is something that you really need to have sorted out. I am not an expert on these things however have you thought about putting a notice on your credit file stating that there are no links between you and this other person?

I would also take out membership with either equifax or experian so that you have 24hr access to your credit file and are able to monitor it over a period of a yr for a one off fee of roughly £50 depending on which credit reference agency you use. Once a member they are on call to you via a freepone number or online service and should you have any concerns you are given your own investigator who will query all footprints on your file and do the necessary leg work for you, contacting and letter writing to these companies on your behalf.

I have used credit expert for the best part of the yr regualry monitroing my credit file and this has helped to keep what i want on there on and what shouldnt be on there off!

good luck and dont leave it too long to sort out.
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • trencherpilot
    Options
    Silly Question, but do you have a middle name. Or does the other person. That is another way to prove it isn't/ is you. They usually ask for a middle initial on application forms, get them to check back. Only a suggestion!
    My broad mind and narrow waist are slowly swapping places!!
  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also if a creditor has listed something on your credit file that does not relate to you that has had an effect on a decision made by another creditor they have an obligation to notify that other creditor of the error they have made.

This can result in the other creditor removing their search also as the information that they used to decide your application was and is incorrect.

Just taking their search off your file does not amend the effect that this has had on legitamate searches. They have to be thorough and are rsponsible for the foot prints that they leave on your file as the footprints have to be accurate and factual by law.

Make sure that they take responsibility!!!
    All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!
  • newmoneysaver_2
    Options
    I don't have a middle name, but the other person does - She doesn't seem to use it very often, presumably in the hope it will come up with my credit score on not hers.

It took about 6 months for the c/c company to take responsibility, once I got the financial ombudsman involved, and I did get a clean credit file without any references to this other woman. I also have a notice of dis-association on my credit file with experian.

I have just sent for my credit file - I got quarterly copies so I can keep an eye on things. I have also had a chat with a friend who works for a debt collection agency and i seems that they search for your name and postcode and some special software for certain financial institutions - so they only way they are able to trace me is if there is a link to the other persons address on my credit file. It looks as if I could be going through the whole thing again! Things won’t get any better when I get married either, as they search will also run on maiden names too!
  • trencherpilot
    Options
    Do you know her address? Could a solicitor sort this one out? Sorry, shooting in the dark, never had this happen to me
    My broad mind and narrow waist are slowly swapping places!!
  • newmoneysaver_2
    Options
    Well I have just received m a copy of my credit file - everything is OK and there are no links to other people/addresses. The only conclusion I can gain from this is that these companies are getting my details from the elctrol role. Does this means that there is nothing I can do to stop it happening?
  • Number_6_3
    Options
    Did you tick the box that puts you on a sanitised list?

Theres basically two lists. One they can flog to anyone, the other which is only available to select people/companies (including credit firms)

R
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport