We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
External Hard Drive? ! !
Comments
-
I was just gonna post that, you beat me to it
0 -
BTW I got the Aldi drive earlier this year with 250gb and card reader builtin, fantastic product and really handy for backups0
-
seth wrote:Dabs have some 200Gig maxtor extern USB2 in plastic case, not aluminium but fan less for £72ish + P&P
That's a good find. Seem to be the same rotational speed and cache, so I guess similar performance. Not fanless though, according to the one review. £86 including postage (I'm sure it was £72 the first time I looked but now it's £80!): that's 43p per GB. The Aldi one just scrapes in ahead at 40p per GB, but then you have to fight for one in the shop!
Aldi also have a graphics tablet and USB video capture device that look fairly interesting.Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.0 -
Just picked up one of these Buffalo 250gb
250gb for £85 inc del. 2 year warranty on it, and Western digital drive inside. No problems thus far.
Also got a Maxtor 250gb and a lacie 250gb (about £105) (Think it uses a maxtor or western digital drive inside, the latest ones have seagate)
Of all of them I find the maxtor most convenient with dual firewire and usb2.
All are pretty fast, and I've had no problems or failures so far...
HTH
R0 -
Hey that's excellent. Glad I posted about the Aldi drive, as it's brought in some interesting alternatives. It looks like Aldi is not hitting the spot at all - I usually assume that specials at Aldi/Lidl/Netto are unbeatable. Nice to have a fanless design. The only thing it doesn't state anywhere is the size of the cache - but do all 250G drives have 8MB caches now?Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.0
-
Depends on the manufacturer...the latest drives have 16mb.
R0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards