Re-Mortgaging Question/Problem

I have just tried to re-mortgage my house and borrow addional funds for home inprovements but have been refused. We currently have a joint mortgage and I think the reason it was refused was my partner has a poor credit rating. Can I apply for a single application and what does this mean for my partner? I do earn enough to easly cover the mortgage and the total is still less than 80% of the current value of the house. Many Thanks

Comments

• you think YOU are struggling to find a lender.... I only want a 30% LTV and my credit record is A1 PLUS and the greedy sods dont want to play unless I PAY THEM extortionate 'arrangements fees' etc..Good luck anyway
  • happybroker
    happybroker Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    you could apply in your sole name but it would mean taking your partner off the deeds to the house which may not go down too well.

what kind of adverse credit does your partner have and how old is it?
    Happily an ex mortgage broker!
  • She has the CCCS involved so I don't know the full extent of the damage. I have applied for a credit report to try and shed some light on it. I pay for evertyhing as she only has a part time job so didn't think it would be an issue. Thanks
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    How much extra do you need to borrow?

Could you get a personal loan for the amount in your name?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • I was after an extra 30K but I know that you can only get 25K on a personal loan unless you have any recomendations? I could manage with the 25k as I would just leave out some of the work I had planned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure