New Temp Job

Options
I have been temping for 3 years but actually only had two jobs. First lasted 6 months, second lasted 2 years and 4 months. In my most recent placement I was on a decent wage and then got paid holiday pay on top.

I now have a new job for less pay but I am desperate, this is also temping. I found out the pay is inclusive of holiday pay which actually reduces the basic pay. How do I work out the basic pay?

Also, they want me to commit for 3 months but do I have an option to leave if things dont work out and on what notice?

Thanks!

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    To work out the basic, you need to know how many days holiday the post allows. Any contract must be capable to being terminated, so your contract should state the notice period on each side - surely they are not going to keep you for 3 mths if you are uselss in the job? In the absence of a written notice period, the statutory provisions apply, which would be a week's notice.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • lucy_w86
    lucy_w86 Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    To work out the basic, you need to know how many days holiday the post allows. Any contract must be capable to being terminated, so your contract should state the notice period on each side - surely they are not going to keep you for 3 mths if you are uselss in the job? In the absence of a written notice period, the statutory provisions apply, which would be a week's notice.

Does the agency send a contract or the company I work for?
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your contract is properly with the agency and they should provide written particulars.

It is no longer legal to include holiday pay in a rolled up sum. Holiday pay should be paid separately.
  • alyth
    alyth Posts: 2,671 Forumite
    Options
    I'm temping having been made redundant. What my agency do is this: my hourly rate is £11.48 per hour, but what I come out with is £10.41. What they then do is keep the difference, £1.07 back, and then when I want to take a holiday (assuming I've built up enough time) is pay me the £1.07 hourly rate.

It's really confusing, I've only been temping for 4 weeks as I've got a permanent job starting on Monday. I temped for a year a year ago and the rules have changed since I was last temping.

As you're temping I'm assuming you're just on a week to week basis, despite them wanting you to commit to 3 months, so of course you have the option to leave - I'm assuming you're employed by the temp agency, so you deal with them not the employer. Again, I would assume it's a week's notice period, check what if anything your letter the agency should give you each time you start a new assignment as that will have notice period, holiday stuff on it.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    the agency should have clarified the rates before you started.

the headline rate plus allowance for holiday (say approx 10&) - total rate, which is then paid less tax, NI etc..

the holiday amounts accrue until you take time off, or the placement ends, when you should get that paid as well- hopefully no more tax deducted!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the agency should have clarified the rates before you started.

the headline rate plus allowance for holiday (say approx 10&) - total rate, which is then paid less tax, NI etc..

the holiday amounts accrue until you take time off, or the placement ends, when you should get that paid as well- hopefully no more tax deducted!

Tax and NI is of course deducted at the time of payment. Holiday pay should be paid when claimed for holiday taken (or on leaving the agency). Tax and NI is deducted at that point.

It is also important to claim paid holiday. If the holiday is simply taken but no specific request made for payment, the agency doesn't need to pay. If you work for an agency for more than a year, you can lose your holiday pay because you don't claim it within the holiday year (which will start running when you do your first assignment - or sometimes counted from when you register).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure