Early retirement and jobseekers allowance

Options
Hello everyone, I've just joined the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Margaret and I am now retired. My question to you is my husband has just been given early retirement at age 63 - can he claim jobseekers allowance (unemployment benefit) until age 65 when his state pension becomes payable, also will he have to declare his retirement payout. Thank you in anticipation.

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think he can claim Jobseekers' Allowance. There are two types - contributions based which he can get for six months regardless of income/savings, providing he has paid enough National Insurance at the right time; and income-based which is means-tested based on household income and savings - if he is going to have this he will have to declare his payout.

Alternatively as he is over 60 he may be able to apply for Pension Credit, this too is means-tested. If he is eleigible for this there will not be the requirement to seek work as there is on JSA.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JSA can be paid up to 65 years for men and 60 for women but it depends upon his financial circumstances. So they will take into consideration how much saving he has and his pension income and of course whether he is looking for a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure