Bank worker - SSP?

I fell off my motorbike after my shift at the hospital last night.Not too badly hurt,but a one-armed porter is not much use and I may be off for a couple of weeks according to the doc.
The accident happened on wet leaves on hospital property.I work full time (37.5 hours pw) as a bank worker so don`t have a proper contract as such.
Will I be entitled to any SSP or anything,as I doubt if the hospital will pay anything?I`ll `phone the union and HR dept tomorrow,but I`d like to have some info before I do if possible.
Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Took me a couple of reads to realise that this hospital job is your sole income.I used to work for a hospital bank as well as my fulltime job with them.
    I know Bank workers are entitled to holiday pay so perhaps SSP as well. Good luck. Perhaps you could be utilised answering the phone, on specimen collection and other jobs that don't involve patient handling until your arm is better......worth an ask.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You say you don't have a 'proper' contract, but if you have any kind of contract at all I'd read that!

Also make it clear that the accident was caused by wet leaves. They are a bit of an occupational hazard at this time of year, of course, but if they were in a much frequented place then not unreasonable to expect them to be cleared promptly.

On a push-bike, conkers on the road are deadly!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hi Sue.I found my contract.It states that I am entitled to annual leave paid in accordance with the working time regs,but no entitlement to occupational sick leave.I knew that,but no mention of SSP.I`ll check later with HR.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bernardh wrote:
    Hi Sue.I found my contract.It states that I am entitled to annual leave paid in accordance with the working time regs,but no entitlement to occupational sick leave.I knew that,but no mention of SSP.I`ll check later with HR.
    I am sure you will get at least SSP from somewhere, either through your normal pay channels or by claiming elsewhere. Have a look at the certificate your GP gave you and see if that gives any clues if HR say they don't pay SSP. I fear it's a pittance, and you don't get anything for first 3 days ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport