'Pick this site’s charities for the next year.' Poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreenMan wrote: »
    It was with real sadness that when I looked at the list of twelve charities that only one had any remit outside the UK. Given that the UK is the fourth richest nation on earth and that millions of people worldwide do not have access to a clean water supply or the most basic of health care I'm perplexed that 90% of the charities were based in this country.

Hi,

Just as a note, the automatic pick Re_cycle is a charity which helps the developing world, so there's already one assured of the five.

I also realised we forget to link to the nominations thread in the original post - so here it is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=11595437#post11595437
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • nomis131276
    Options
    I'm so amazed at the negativity of some of the posts here, people slagging charities off that are doing good work without proper research e.g many people complaining only one charities remit includes overseas work Christians against poverty has started CAP australia and CAP New Zealand. One quote that debt charities shouldn't win as basically its the peoples own fault and education at a younger age is the answer! again CAP work hard to educate people to budget as part of a holistic approach. The most amazing comment I've seen was that the forces should be responsible for wounded troops and that charity isn't worthy, its hardly the troops fault there is a need for such a charity is it- Its sad very sad.
  • nomis131276
    Options
    Quick note of Christians against Poverty- currently offers support in a variety of regions in Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales & soon Northern Ireland) and aims to have a support centre in every town/city in UK by 2021
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    is it possible to change your vote?
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • mean_momma
    mean_momma Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    any consequences of wars entered into by our government should be borne by our government, including proper care, treatment and compensation for those injured. It really shouldn't be dependent on charitable donation.

Yes, by all means, a small, caring, charitible trust, but the government should be responsible for generous basics in the first instance.

The Citizens Advice Bureau deals mainly in advising on government benefits which should also be a government funded service.
  • Let_Robinson_Sing
    Options
    With being a Carer I voted for Carers UK.

Thanks to the people who nominated and have voted for Carers UK.
    Carers UK… should be governmental, reflecting the fact that each carer reduces burden on NHS
    It's not just about the reducing the burden on the NHS, Carers provide constant round the clock care for their caree's and are viewed like goldust by them. Carers give so much yet receive so little.
  • Eagle_1
    Eagle_1 Posts: 8,484 Forumite
    Options
    Im suprised that cap uk havent got that many votes, bearing in mind a forum this size which has a lot of members who have debt problems. I just thought they would be high up in the votes:confused:

I voted for Carers, but if I could have had 2 votes my 2nd would have been Help for Heroes, a very deserving cause.
    and for the people starting saying *government and all that*, yeah, government should do a lot of things.........but do they, I shall say no more on the matter :cool:
  • hallucenogenic_midas
    Options
    Help for Heroes...It really shouldn't be dependent on charitable donation.

Agreed, but it is! Lack of government support is not the fault of the charity. They still need supporting somehow. We could argue that there should be no need for charity at all, that the government should support ALL these causes because they are, to some extent or another responsible for all these issues...but that's just not realistic is it?!
  • hallucenogenic_midas
    Options
    I am also thrilled to see Carers UK shortlisted and doing so well. We recently buried my Grandmother who was heavily dependent on Domicillary Care. The provision of an extremely friendly, caring and supportive team meant she was able to stay at home until the end of her days. The carers worked hard and treated my grandmother with respect - they even surprised us by turning up at her funeral!

And to those who argue that "defence personnel join the MoD through choice, they should face the consequences" well, so too do carers (unless you are a family member who has no choice but to give up your job to care for a loved one) but it does not excuse the poor pay and working conditions many receive. To have a carer stay in your home overnight in order to attend to all your needs, no matter what the time of night, can cost as little as £55 for 9 hours - a good chunk of that money going to the care agency. Would you work for that!?!
  • Sarahspeech
    Options
    That said, you have set us all an interesting task: to choose "the most relevant and effective charities". No-one has a clue which are the most effective, unless they work for them or are beneficiaries.

CAn I then put a plug for NCH? I see the direct effects that this charity has on the young people it supports and their families - the respite service of overnight stays for young people with severe learning diffficulties and Autism allows families to stay together and rebuild in times of otherwise crisis. This is just one thread of the charities excellent work.
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport