Mortgages

Options
I have had my mortgage for over 10 years and never missed any payments. I am due to come to the end of my rate in Sept 2009 - If I do nothing does that mean they will just put me on the new % rate. The reason i ask is that I am currently with CCCS re debt mgmt strcture and it is going very well. Again no payments were ever missed on loans or more important mortgage. I am just worried they might "stop" the mortgage I have with them - Abbey -
I am in full time employment.

Comments

• _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    When the rate ends it will go to the lender's standard variable rate, unless you arrange another rate nearer the time.
  • Henwen
    Henwen Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Yes they will put you on a new (higher) rate. They should write to you beforehand to warn you what the rate and new monthly amount will be. You could shop around then, though your options with debt management plan may be limited.

Feeling the pinch but trying to bring down that mortgage - thank heavens for MSE.com!
    :hello:
  • gerri1963
    gerri1963 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the replies - I was hoping you would all say that. It has put my mind at rest. Even if it does increase I should hopefully have had a salary increase or two to compensate.
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how much do you owe on the debt, can it be paid off before the end of mortgage deal
  • gerri1963
    gerri1963 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    how much do you owe on the debt, can it be paid off before the end of mortgage deal
    AROUND £45K - I will have it paid in 8 years according to CCCS. But I am also looking for extra part time work and all monies will go to that also. However now I am with CCCS it is a lot easier to manage my money having now got a real workable budget.
  • Gloster_Advise
    Options
    gerri1963

even though you may think that the Debt man people are paying a token payment per month, in my experience, and not all, some creditors will register a default even though a DMP has been set up. Not putting the frighteners up you but it has happened many times when clients think everything has been hunky dorey payment wise when all along they have had 2 or 3 defaults and it has hampered their ability in getting high street lending.

If your loan to value is <75% stay with the Abbey, request a credit report and ride the storm.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Take advice with a pinch of sea salt!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure