Health Screening costs

Options
My wife would like to have a comprehensive health check before we start trying for a family. As an American, she has been used to getting a full check-up on a regular basis. As a very healthy NHS-loving Brit, my knowledge of how to set about getting this done is very limited. I've done a little looking around and found that BUPA offers a "Classic Health Assessment" - for £425! Surely there must be cheaper alternatives? Does anyone know of any? All thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Have you compared what BUPA are checking compared with Medichecks
    or E-MED

Corazon Health will do a thorough individual health check for £300 if you contact them.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends how thorough she wants it. It might be worth phoning the GP surgery to ask if anyone has an interest in pre-conception health, or if it would be OK to make an appointment to get blood pressure etc checked, maybe a smear test as well. Someone suggested to me I should get a smear test done before trying to conceive and as I was younger than the age at which routine tests start I made an appointment for this. Receptionist and GP were right sniffy about it, so I avoided that GP for ever after!

Your wife could also ask about recommendations for pre-conception supplements and diet.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Just found this company which does all the tests that BUPA do for £215+
    e-med
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] The screening will include:
    [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Full physical examination[/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] including:[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Blood Pressure[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Pulse reading[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Body Mass Index[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Review of any illnesses, medication and family history[/size][/font]
      [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]
      [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Vision and Hearing Tests[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Spirometry -which tests lung function fully[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] ECG - to test the heart rhythm, rate and other abnormalities[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Resting Test & ECG[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] Urine Analysis [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Blood Screening[/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] - this will be tailored to the individual however the basic profile will be:
      [/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] full blood count[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]renal function[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] liver function[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]cholesterol / body fats[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1] prostate test if over 40[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]tumour markers for bowel & ovarian cancer[/size][/font]
      • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]thyroid function[/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Cervical Screening [/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]annually (if applicable)
      [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]X-rays [/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]as required [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]A full report [/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]is sent to you and will include an action plan as discussed
      [/size][/font]
    • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Consultation with the doctor so you can discuss any health worries, large or small

[/size][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]What is the cost?

The Health Check is available to e-med members at a cost of £215 (+films). It is similar in content to a "BUPA" health screen, however we are able to price it at a significantly lower cost due to our lower overheads.

How do I arrange an appointment?

Please phone +44 (0) 20 7806 4028
    or complete the Appointment Request Form[/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]. [/size][/font]
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look at Nuffield, there are about 40 hospitals & screening centres in the UK, so there should be one near you.
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Pity e-med is only in London
  • PrinceApple
    Options
    :j
    Lucie wrote:
    Have a look at Nuffield, there are about 40 hospitals & screening centres in the UK, so there should be one near you.

For several years, last one 2003, we used local Nuffield (West Country) for a cut down but still thorough health screening. A day off work but worthwhile basic health monitoring exercise and very gud service they gave. As members of Health Shield (health insurance) we were able to recover a lot of the costs. Health Shield was gr8 scheme when wife was in hospital for a year on&off and also when we had three children under 18 but a bit expensive now only the two of us! We need to look around again or just save up for the next medical expense!!

Phew! my first post ever :o
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of GP surgerys to 'well women' check ups. Ring your doctors and see whats available. I'm pretty sure they will do some routine check ups if you explain what you want it for.
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport