What to do next?

Options
ksh123
ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am trying to reclaim cash for a PPI which I believe was missold via Central Trust relating to a secured loan with Swift Advances.
I first contacted Swift with my reasons for claiming re misselling, they said there was no case to answer but referred by communication to Central Trust who sell and operate the PPI.
Central Trust have replied saying they have investigated, saying there is no case to answer and leaving any blame squarely at my door for not asking the right questions and not reading the small print of the policy. and taking advantage of the 30 day cooling off period if I was at all unhappy . no surprise there then.:confused:
According to Central Trust I now have until 24th July 08 to inform them if I intend to take the matter further by going to the Financial Ombudsman.
Interestingly they also refer to "organisations who provide standard letters of complaints" to enable customers to claim misselling.

In their letter Central Trust allege that they came to their conclusion after "listening to tapes and talking to the advisor that sold me the policy". Unsurprisingly their view of how the sale was conducted (about 3.5 years ago) differs quite alot from my memory of the event.

Is it really likely that companies retain all recorded telephone calls for this period of time? Do I have a right to ask for a copy of the tape assuming they are telling the truth and it exists?

I would be grateful for advice on how to proceed. Should I ask for a copy of the taped telephone call they refer to?
Secondly, how much of the onus is on the customer to read the small print and thus be assurred that the policy has been correctly sold?
Many thanks
ksh123
Stop looking for answers....
The most you can hope for are clues.....:)

Comments

• petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    When did you take this loan out,
    how much was it for?
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • ksh123
    Options
    Hello Petermb, and any other viewers
    Here is the information you asked for. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.

I took the loan out on 6.12.05. For £17,000.
  • ksh123
    Options
    ksh123 wrote: »
    I am trying to reclaim cash for a PPI which I believe was missold via Central Trust relating to a secured loan with Swift Advances.
    I first contacted Swift with my reasons for claiming re misselling, they said there was no case to answer but referred by communication to Central Trust who sell and operate the PPI.
    Central Trust have replied saying they have investigated, saying there is no case to answer and leaving any blame squarely at my door for not asking the right questions and not reading the small print of the policy. and taking advantage of the 30 day cooling off period if I was at all unhappy . no surprise there then.:confused:
    According to Central Trust I now have until 24th July 08 to inform them if I intend to take the matter further by going to the Financial Ombudsman.
    Interestingly they also refer to "organisations who provide standard letters of complaints" to enable customers to claim misselling.

In their letter Central Trust allege that they came to their conclusion after "listening to tapes and talking to the advisor that sold me the policy". Unsurprisingly their view of how the sale was conducted (about 3.5 years ago) differs quite alot from my memory of the event.

Is it really likely that companies retain all recorded telephone calls for this period of time? Do I have a right to ask for a copy of the tape assuming they are telling the truth and it exists?

I would be grateful for advice on how to proceed. Should I ask for a copy of the taped telephone call they refer to?
    Secondly, how much of the onus is on the customer to read the small print and thus be assurred that the policy has been correctly sold?
    Many thanks
    ksh123

I took out this loan in December '05. It was for £17000.
    Can anyone help me with the above questions?
    thank you.
  • ksh123
    Options
    ksh123 wrote: »
    I took out this loan in December '05. It was for £17000.
    Can anyone help me with the above questions?
    thank you.

Hi
    I have tried bumping this question - full details in posts above - but have had no response so far. I have to do something by July 24th or lose the opportunity.
    I am sure there must be someone reading who can advise me how to go ahead? I'm really quite worried about what to do.
    Thanks in advance.
  • standupguy
    standupguy Posts: 904 Forumite
    Options
    Their reply is only to be expected - first complaint and a quick rebuff and see if you go away.

However what is interesting is that this is not their final response letter which is what they would have to give you before you can take it further to the Financial Ombudsman service.

They are testing the water with you by asking if you are going to take this to the FOS and giving you a date to respond - so they know they are on a sticky wicket!

Because of their stance it does suggest that your claim has merits.

You should reply informing them that you will be proceeding to the FOS should they be unable to satisfy your complaint within the time period regulated for complaints under FSA rules and that you await their final response - (that sentence should give them something to think about)

You also need to request a full transcription of the taped conversation.

From what you say together with their reaction it suggests you have a good case

Keep going you have nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.
  • ksh123
    Options
    That's really excellent and helpful. Thank you so much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure