Things going from bad to worse!

I recently was on here saying how despite making minimal monthly payments to my creditors I was struggling ,and that I would contact probably the CCCS for advice etc as I was struggling due to my daughter being seriously ill.
Well the phone call wasnt made.I had wriitten to a few creditors re my situation and offered token payments whilst I sorted things out.3 replied and suprisingly offered me 3 months grace whilst I sorted things out.
Also more priority debts were taking over!
Having got into relitevely small arrears with the council tax ,they went down the court route and the balifs demanded the full amount which frightened me.
In paying that I struggled to pay my rent and went over my overdraft limit-so then the charges started to pile on and direct debits bouncing!
Then I get a huge electricity demand back payment and wanting to increase my monthly debit from £50 to £120!
Then another council tax demand for being two months behind.
So gradually everything begins to deterriorate around me -with me trying to support a daughter who is in need of support not grumpiness and depression.
Worst of all the financial situation is my Mum who I owe £5000 to .Has no money except her pension left.Desperately needs the money back as although living with myself and daughter is finding the strain of my daughters illness too much(and the stress in the house)and really needs me to pay the money back so she can move to a calmer life.
I have always been strong but I cant juggle everything anymore.
My daughter is beautiful and bright and clever and at 15 has dreams of working towards Oxford .I am trying to fund her GCSE s through home ed since February due to her having to leave her school which together with her Father destroyed her head and self esteem which resulted in severe annorexia.
My support of her is being ruined by this terrible decline in debt.
Today after my self employed teaching fizzling to rock bottom I took the step of applying for income support ,in the hope that at least my rent and council tax will be secure for a few months.
However I have to go for an interview and they will want to see my book keeping which isnt up to date and despite supposdly working for 16 hours working tax credit there is little to show for the last few months.I dont know how to explain that.I havent kept up the work .I dont want to be in more trouble.
Sorry for the rant!!!:confused:

Comments

• Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So sorry hun about your situation
    I can't think of any real practicle help other than phone CCCS again
    I know others will be of more help

all i can offer you is a hug:grouphug:

and this will bump it up
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • Cleosmum
    Cleosmum Posts: 2,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Calm down and grab a cuppa, please do not fret!

Be honest with tax credits, you have had to care for your child, work has taken a back seat.

Can you make that call to CCCS tomorrow? You need to take the pressure off, find out if they can help you. I think you will need to explain to your mum that you arent in a position to pay her back, as much as you want to.

Big hugs, I really feel for you :(
  • Hi honey

I just wanted to say hi and check something. THe interview that you are going to, who is it with? CCCS, employer or someone else?

If it is CCCS then don't worry, just get as much info together as you can and let them talk you through it. If you have to have another session to get across your full position then so be it, but the sooner you speak with them the sooner they can give you advice.

I really do wish you well in getting this sorted out, Once you have spoken to CCCS you will be able to get a better plan for supoportign your daughter and once you know your full financial position they may be able to take over all negotiations with your creditors which will free you up to focus on your daughter.

All the best
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Mupeteer
    Mupeteer Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would also advise you to call the CCCS - as soon as you can but definitely before you go for interview about income support. Also, your local CAB might be able to offer some advice.

Other than that, I would think you should be totally honest at the interview. Hopefully they will understand that your priorities in recent times have been with your daughter.

Good luck to you. I really hope it all works out. Keep posting so we can all be here to support you. And if you need to rant, go for it. Many of us have done that here at some point.
    Reality check - hit rock bottom on 15 Dec 2008 with unsecured debts of £29,136 and not enough money to live on

:j NOW DEBT FREE!!!! :j
    :oI try to take life one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once :o
  • honeybee_6
    honeybee_6 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Thanks for your replies.You are very kind.
    The interview is with the job centre for income support.But I am wondering if I should stay on tax credits and try and get an increase on housing and council tax.
    I am 2 months behind on the council tax so it looks like they will take me to court again and charge me the extra.
    I am over my overaft limit with bank which scares me.
    And not sure what to do about electricity.have had to cancel the direct debit.cannot increase ,or pay off what I owe-and will have to offer them something.
    Not so worried about cc-will send them a token payment.
    Cannot believe how things deteriorate so quickly!
  • brainfreeze
    brainfreeze Posts: 182 Forumite
    Hi Honeybee

You have your priorities right - family first, debts last. Looking after your daughter whilst she is unwell and vulnerable is so important. Have you approached the education authority for support with costs of home tuition? It may be that you could get your GP to support your case with the education authority - does take time but is worth thinking about assuming she is only in Year 10 and has a whole year left.
    It must have been a huge decision to take your child out of school, especially at such a critical time in her education but her health and well-being are most important and I am sure you have done the right thing.

As everyone else above says, call CCCS. However, I do think you may need to take a break from work just for your health. You are currently being pulled every which way - by the worry over your daughter's health and education, the debts, your mum, your work situation. Something has to give and from personal experience it tends to be your health that gives out first. Please, please, please take some time for you. If this means getting income support for a while then do that. Get as much advice and support from CCCS and/or citizens advice and your GP and put your creditors off for a while. Whilst you are on benefits the roof over your head should be safe - keep in touch with the your landlord though as housing benefits are notoriously slow at processing claims (applies even if you have a council house....one dept doesn't always talk to, or listen to, another).

HTH
  • honeybee_6
    Thanks so much.

To be honest coming out of school was the best thing she did.
    Since Feb ,and within 3 months she sat 3 GCSE s a year early(which had to be funded at around £150 each) and is now looking to take 3 more in Nov, and another 3 in the summer.Maybe I should look at funding.

She is very mature ,and sadly has to listen to my moans on money .My mother doesnt know the situation is so bad and with her own savings having dwindled on helping support us cant know.Sadly my daughters declining health has put a strain on her realtionship and mine and my mothers and I feel very very sad about our current life situ.My mum deserves a more peaceful time at 84.She has been the back bone of my life while I have been working and is incredible for her age., doing much of the household stuff!
    I am racked with guilt and as you say juggling many things.
    I am scared by the income support situ.It isnt where I want to be as I love teaching and have always been very dedicated.
    Ironically my landord is my neighbour,so call friend and parent of pupil and ironically they tried to evict us last year as their daughter came down down with annorexia.Now with tables turned they are utterly unsurportive and unsympathetic.
    God I feel low right now!

Thanks for advice
  • honeybee_6
    Thanks for last night replies.Fed up with with feeling sorry for myself but becoming very scared on dealing with situ, as seems so out of control.
    A few questions.
    Will CCSA help if I begin to claim income support?

I cannot even afford the £50 to the elrctricity board this month and I have had to cancel the direct debit.They say I owe £200 back payment (which I didnt realise) and want to double my monthly payments.Any ideas on how I deal with them?

Have gone over my overdraft limit by £200 due to direct debits and a cheque I tried to cancel.I have written to the bank ,but of course they are piling on charges left ,right and centre.I guess I need to open another bank account but I have a maintentance payment paid into a savings account from this bank from my partner who is now estranged so I cannot change it.
  • Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi sweetie,

so sorry to hear of your troubles, I cant offer much practical advice other than to say that when in dire financial straits myself a few years ago I had to take the income support route just to keep a roof over our heads & the creditors at bay. I hated it & did feel like I was cheating a bit, but when survival is at stake, dont hesitate. Receiving benefits should put a stop to creditors baying for your blood & will give you some breathing space. Remember that this is what we pay tax & NI for, so that when times are hard, we have something to fall back on.

Good luck & do try to find a bit of time for you & keep posting

(((hugs)))
    lula x
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry, lost a long post.

In the mean-time, check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/make-money

Mystery shopping affects your tax and benefits but surveys and clicks do not.

Also, if you are not already signed up with your local group, then get on https://www.freecycle.org - like e-bay but free.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport