Bridge/implant

Hi there

I have recently had my bridge re-cemented in due to it falling out - this is the second time this has happened in the space of two weeks!

The reason i had a bridge fitted years ago was because no tooth ever gre thru (it wasnt because one was bad and had to be taken out).

What are my options other than having it done yet again - can i have an implant under NHS, as this bridge has fallen out twice whilst ive been asleep and have nearly choaked on it and the tooth it keeps being re-stuck too is becoming very sensitive.

Any advise would be most hopefully?

Thanks

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I would think there's more chance of me having my next summer holiday on the moon than you getting an implant on the NHS! It's not impossible - but I can't see it happening for you.

You'd need to be referred to a teaching hospital with a very very very very very good reason for it. A missing tooth and a bridge that has fallen off twice isn't such a reason.

What sort of bridge is it? Is it a stick-on Maryland type bridge, or has the supporting tooth been prepared?

Was your bridge done on the NHS?

Something is very wrong with a bridge that has fallen off twice in that space of time. I would ask the dentist why this is happening, and what he plans to do to stop t happening again.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • jjen
    jjen Posts: 4 Newbie
    yes it is maryland bridge and it was done on the nhs when i was pregnant.

I am at the dentist this afternoon so will ask for an explanation why the bridge keeps falling out, i do look after it very well but something is not right.

!!!!! cant believe how expensive dentist work can be, ive paid tax since leaving school and because my bridge is classed as 'cosmetic' i have to pay - I need this tooth/bridge sorting out, as it is my front tooth i use it for eating, biting and smiling, as i work with the general public it would look goo to be smiling with a big gap between my teeth !

thanks for the reply.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just edited this, as I realised that I'd misread your post.

A marland bridge is often good for a good few years - but when it starts falling off, then it can often not re-cement very well.

Having a new Maryland is often the way to go.

I think it's a bit tight of the dentist to claim that it's cosmetic, as it's something that you have had in place for years, and very successfully.

What treatment does he propose on the NHS? A denture?

I would try appealing to the PCT to see if they would classify the replacement of a very successful treatment with something inferior as the right thing to do. All you're asking for is a like for like replacement, not an improvement.

From the dentist's point of view, a Maryland isn't going to cost much more than a denture in terms of lab fees, and it would be an awful lot quicker in terms of surgery time. I can see no economic reason why he should refuse to do it, in fact, I think it would be cheaper to provide the bridge in the long run.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure