Still not heard about house!!!!

Options
We have still not had a letter from the OR about our house. There is no equity in it unless they want to sell it for Market price in which case there may possibly be 20k or more.

Thankfully the house is in ill state of repair - the Roof is now leaking into two bedrooms.

Insurance will pay for it all to be repaired - our voluntary excess is £300 (my husband chose this because we have never claimed for anything).

Problem I am having now is, my husband says he doesn't want the house repaired and doesn't want to pay £300 because we might lose the house.

I see his point I suppose - would a phone call to the OR give us more idea?
:cool:

Comments

• Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    In the long run the damage to the roof might add up to a lot more if left.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• creditmonkey_2
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum, I would put your mind at rest and speak with your OR,it is normal practice for the OR to have your property valued before they can decide if they have an intrest or not,even if they do it does not automaticly mean you will lose the house.esp with the down turn in the prop market at the mo.
    as for the roof i would fix that as it will make for big problems in the plasterboard celing esp if it collapses onto you. i am sure someone more experienced will b along soon to answer your question in greater detail,,goodluck with you BR.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You would not want a ceiling to collapse on you or your family - regardless of cost. If its "only" £300 (and I am well aware that this amount is not neccessarily easy to come by), I would for peace of mind.

But I would speak to the OR as well. Some would say not to stick your head above the parepit but this one is too important. At least it would give you some idea of whats going on as well.

Bear in mind that there may be some come back if damage is done and you leave - technically its wilful damage as you made no redress to fix the known problem.
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Options
    Well it is driving rain now and it is coming in fast :(

We were going to go and collect our Tent and put it up ready for next Week but now hubby is going to go and repair the Roof from within.

He has told me I have to move from the Computer because if a Slate slips whilst he is fiddling, it will come crashing through the Velux right on top of me.

I just wish the OR would let us know, hubby wont do anymore work on the house now because of it. He says he can't get motivated. And because of the stress he is under, this is one time I will not nag or moan. Just listen.
    :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport