Can company pensions be obligatory?

Options
Many moons ago, I did part-time work at Woolworths, which was not part of my long-term career plan :)

I had pension payments deducted from my wages. I didn't query it, because I thought it was something that just happened when you worked.

Should I have been asked before these contributions were taken?

I now have a miniscule amount of money in a pension which will be worth peanuts to me... that's assuming I can be bothered to change my address with them every time I move in the next 24 years. (Zurich recently tracked me down after losing contact with me in 1996)

They're charging the account 2p a month in fees and presumably have been for a decade :rotfl:
My TV is broken! :cry:
Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Should I have been asked before these contributions were taken?

No. Many are automatically enrolled unless you choose and notify them to opt out.

I now have a miniscule amount of money in a pension which will be worth peanuts to me

Seeing as the bulk of that has come from Woolworths and tax relief, the actual cost of the money in there would have been tiny to you. Indeed, if its a long time ago then you may well have been a member of their non contributary final salary pension and I know a number of ex Woolworths employees who have had very nice retirements on the back of their final salary scheme.
    that's assuming I can be bothered to change my address with them every time I move in the next 24 years. (Zurich recently tracked me down after losing contact with me in 1996)

Perhaps you should be bothered.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    Joining the company pension scheme was often a condition of employment in the days before 1988, when regulation brought in the opportunity to opt out.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

I wondered that - that's why I emailled them a few questions when they got in touch.

I now have a few pieces of paper, one of which tells me 'If investments grow at 6% and interest rates when you retiure are 6.1%, your final retirement fund could be: £8, which could give you a taxable yearly pension of: £0.
    Not sure that I could even buy a lump of coal in my golden years with that, unless I'm missing something exciting

I'm trying to be bothered but Zurich aren't trying very hard to make it sound enticing! Are there any key words I should be scouring the paperwork for?
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Retired_I.F.A.
    Options

£8

Perhaps not. :D

How long did you wok there for, till dinnertime?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RIFA may not be joking when he suggests you worked for that sort of time!

That sort of money suggests you paid in a couple of pound contribution.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lay off, I was doing my a-levels at the time ;) My records (such as they are) indicate that I earned about £1400 gross over a period of a year or so.

I have a letter dated 25/10/06 which indicates when I left Woolies. It says the pension was due to be transferred to Eagle Star. Attached is statement that shows:

Top up account: £17.02
    Basic account: £1.48
    Total fund value: £18.50

It's possible that I opted out after payment(s) were taken, but this was all a long time ago...

I'm amused that £18.50 has turned into £8 in 12 years. Maybe in another few years it will be 0 and I can forget about it :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure