We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Anyone used J Parker online?

Options
ethansmum
ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
I was thinking of ordering from them, but was really put off ordering plants via the post after get the 'free' fuchias last year from van Meuwen. Are the plants of good quality?

Thank you!
July Win: Nokia 5800

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I used them once. The plants were ok but took an age to arrive.
    I tend to T&M these days, they usually arrive on time and their communication is quite good. That said i am also trying Mr Fothergills for a few plants this year.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used them this year. Took a long time to arrive (up to six weeks), the smaller plants arrived dead, but they refunded promptly when I complained. The bigger plants have been great - I had some dogwood and Christmas box that I was really pleased with, and the bulbs were ok too. I wouldn't buy the plug plants again but I would buy larger plants.

Had some stuff from T&M too, but was generally not impressed again with the smaller/'free' plants which arrived dead. They sent me a £2 voucher when I complained, doesn't even cover half the cost of the postage if I was mad enough to buy from them again.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I think I might give online buying a miss and just stick to seeds then.
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I tried them last year and they took such a long time to arrive so I don't think I'll bother again. Plants were good quality though
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live near the shop and the quality of the plants have always been very good, although not sure about mail order though.
  • nanamags
    nanamags Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    I have used Parkers for many years. Delivery has been okay and they always refund any dead/dying plants unlike T&M who offer credit notes.

Parkers have a stand at the RHS Show at Tatton and the plants are always of a very good standard.

HTH

Mags
    :hello: N:hello:A :hello:N :hello:A :hello:M :hello:A :hello:G :hello:S :hello:
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I ordered some fruit trees from J Parker in October which were suppose to arrive by the middle of November. When they didn't arrive I contacted J Parker via the web leaving my email address and they replied via letter 5 days later. The reason for the delay was due to the weather being too warm, and the trees arrived at the beginning of December. I also got a free hebe with the order which was very much alive.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I ordered some tulip bulbs from Parkers and foolishly left them in the box until I had time to plant them. by the time i opened the box they had started to go mouldy so I just planted them in some small pots to see what they would do. I was amazed when they all grew in the spring and were really beautiful!

the main disadvantage for me with mail order plants/bulbs is being organised enough to plant them when they arrive - whereas you can chose to go to a garden centre on a day you know you have the time to do some gardening.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • dierama
    Options
    I've ordered from them a few times. Plants have been generally on the poor side, but my main bugbear is delivery. Last year they tossed a box of bare root gooseberry bushes over the back fence when I was out, didn't leave a note and it was a week before I found them. They did the same with some bulbs before that as well. I'm not using them again!
  • jamlott
    Options
    I bought some bulbs on a package specialand two victoria plum trees. They were fantastic!!!:T really good value and all arrived in carefuly packed boxes and they were all really fresh and well looked after. They supplied the free items. No hassle at all. I'm not green fingered at all and 90% of the flowers have flourished (10%) was prob my intervention. The delivery guys were courteous and placed them carefully in my back garden Would recommend and will use again. You do have to wait for them arriving as they are delivered when the plants are ready not neccesarily when you pay for them but great customer service to keep you informed.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure