'When is misselling mis-consuming?' blog discussion

Options
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speaking as someone who checks online statements every couple of days, and balances everything each month, I honestly can't understand how people don't notice these charges...
    He might have had a case during the first 6 months, or 1 year if I'm being nice. Definitely not after 9 YEARS!!!

How did he find this out now, anyway?
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If he was happy with his bank and the account and didn't miss the money - he's a satisfield customer.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    :whistle::whistle: :o

At least I remembered being sold mine, even though what he said to me was wrong for my situation.
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    Options
    He's got to be having a laugh.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I bet this is more common than you might at first think. Didn't that lad from EastEnders on "It Pays To Watch" react in a similar way when Martin told him how much he'd be paying for his current account?

As to the solution I don't know. I want to say that the friend should have noticed and so can't claim... but does that set a worrying precedent?
    He needs to cancel it straight away, so at least he'll be better off each month from now on. Then I don't know. Ask the bank to show him the paperwork that says he agreed to it in the first place? And ask them to send a copy of the letter he would have received about the increase (along with a note from their internal records to say iwhen and where it was sent)?
  • JCB_Digger
    JCB_Digger Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think he's having a laugh, how can you let 10 years go by and not notice?

If the monthly fee had the effect of making him overdrawn I think he'd have reason to be annoyed, but he's obviously not missed the money..
  • the_big_grog
    Options
    I think the only reason he's outraged, is that it's now fashionable, due to the credit crunch, to claim poverty or at least the meritorious habit of penny saving. For years people with more money than sense have paid over the odds for "serviced" bank accounts, "personal" bank managers and "platinum" credit cards. For years it's been fashionable to wear wealth like a badge of honour rather than using it to benefit others. Now the price is being paid and Britain is all the poorer as a society for it!
  • JHC
    JHC Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    There's an old saying that "a fool and his money are soon parted". Never checking your bank statements is at best trusting and at worst foolish.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He's got a sort of a case if the bank can't prove he ever gave his agreement .... but still, 9 years is a looong time. It makes me think of the time last year when I entered a text competition - apparently in doing so, I gave them permission to send me texts that cost 50p to receive. Since I spend about £10 a quarter on my mobile phone bill, I soon noticed, and stopped them, but what if I'd been someone who spent £20 a month? Still, 9 years is too long - if that claim gets accepted, its a real boost to the whole culture of denial of responsibility.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • dave2
    dave2 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even if he never formally agreed to the charges, by not querying the bank he has ratified it - it's agreement by conduct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure