Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    psarinuk
    How to change the title deed of my house?
    • 9th Jun 08, 3:16 PM
    How to change the title deed of my house? 9th Jun 08 at 3:16 PM
    Hello All

I bought my house in May 2004 and the solicitors I used could be compared to theives.

Anyway, I changed my name last year and informed my mortgage lender Halifax about that through deed poll etc. I guess they were OK as my license and passport were all updated in my new name by then.

No I am re-mortgaging my house with First Direct (FD). I sent them the deed poll but they are refusing to accept that as it does not have any solicitor or notary public's approval on it (law does not require it and I used my deed poll successfully everywhere else).

They have asked me to get my title deed for the house updated to my new name. They have advised local solicitors (which rules the one I used to buy the house out for sure).

Another solicitor informs me that FD should do that themselves when they change the deed from Halifax to FD and inform land registry about it. He has also advised me to contact the land registry myself but I don't have the title reference for land registry which apparently you need before you discuss anything with them. Where do I get this title reference from? Solicitor says it should start with EX as the house is in Essex...

Could someone please advise what is the right way forward with costs (if any) associated etc..

Many thanks in advance...
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,314Users online

Martin's Twitter