Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > How to change the title deed of my house? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to change the title deed of my house?
Closed Thread
Views: 42,412
# 1
psarinuk
Old 09-06-2008, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How to change the title deed of my house?

Hello All

I bought my house in May 2004 and the solicitors I used could be compared to theives.

Anyway, I changed my name last year and informed my mortgage lender Halifax about that through deed poll etc. I guess they were OK as my license and passport were all updated in my new name by then.

No I am re-mortgaging my house with First Direct (FD). I sent them the deed poll but they are refusing to accept that as it does not have any solicitor or notary public's approval on it (law does not require it and I used my deed poll successfully everywhere else).

They have asked me to get my title deed for the house updated to my new name. They have advised local solicitors (which rules the one I used to buy the house out for sure).

Another solicitor informs me that FD should do that themselves when they change the deed from Halifax to FD and inform land registry about it. He has also advised me to contact the land registry myself but I don't have the title reference for land registry which apparently you need before you discuss anything with them. Where do I get this title reference from? Solicitor says it should start with EX as the house is in Essex...

Could someone please advise what is the right way forward with costs (if any) associated etc..

Many thanks in advance...
# 2
amandajp
Old 09-06-2008, 3:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

When I got married last year I added my maiden name to my married name by deed poll and all I needed to do was send my deed poll document to the local land registry office with a letter (including old and new signature) and they changed the land registry record without any problem. (Done within 2 working days). You can find the address of your local office here http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/regional/

Hope this helps
Amanda

P.S. There was no charge for doing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to amandajp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Richard Webster
Old 10-06-2008, 9:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
When I got married last year I added my maiden name to my married name by deed poll and all I needed to do was send my deed poll document to the local land registry office with a letter (including old and new signature) and they changed the land registry record without any problem. (Done within 2 working days). You can find the address of your local office here http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/regional/

Hope this helps
Amanda

P.S. There was no charge for doing this.
That's right - find out your local Land Registry then phone up their enquiries and give your address and they will find the title number for you. Explain what you want to do and they will walk you through it. It is pretty straightforward as the last poster says. FD are being silly but they have probably got a factory remortgage conveyancing operation.
RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Webster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
iansheff
Old 24-07-2008, 10:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default change deeds

Is it relatively straight forward and inexpensive to have house deeds changed from joint names to just one name? I know there is information on here but the last post was oct 2006 just wondered if things have altered

Last edited by iansheff; 24-07-2008 at 10:13 PM.
# 5
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 25-07-2008, 9:09 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansheff View Post
Is it relatively straight forward and inexpensive to have house deeds changed from joint names to just one name?
If the other party agrees, then yes. But you really need to explain what's going on. Is one party buying the other out? Is there a mortgage involved? If so, is it currently in joint names?
Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac
# 6
Drama_Queen
Old 06-10-2010, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Can we get our deeds put into joint names? Hubby got a sole mortgage because he had good credit and got a better rate, but the deeds went into his sole name too. I hadn't realised until recently.
# 7
Bigbird101
Old 23-11-2011, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default changing deeds to a house

My mother-in-law recently died and my father-in-law has vascular dementia. His son and daughter are now in the process of applying for power of attorney in order to look after his financial and health care affairs.

We have been advised to have the deeds of the house put into my father-in-laws name.
If he has to go into residential care how can he 'gift' his house and savings to his son and daughter so that he will be exempt for paying for the nursing home?
I have tried to look into this but all the sites I have looked at almost in a foreign language!!!!

I would be grateful for any advice.
# 8
geoffky
Old 23-11-2011, 8:36 PM

He can not gift the house and it WILL be used for the care costs. As it should be because why should we pay it while son and daughter get lots of free money...look up deprivation of assets care home fees and you will find out there are no tricks out there...
It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
The Following User Says Thank You to geoffky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
meer53
Old 23-11-2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird101 View Post
My mother-in-law recently died and my father-in-law has vascular dementia. His son and daughter are now in the process of applying for power of attorney in order to look after his financial and health care affairs.

We have been advised to have the deeds of the house put into my father-in-laws name.
If he has to go into residential care how can he 'gift' his house and savings to his son and daughter so that he will be exempt for paying for the nursing home?
I have tried to look into this but all the sites I have looked at almost in a foreign language!!!!

If the FIL Has assets then why should he be exempt from paying for his ongoing care ? As Geoffky says, theres no way round this one.
# 10
G_M
Old 23-11-2011, 9:13 PM

Seems like common sense really.

You change your name - you tell people your new name and get their records updated!

Why should Land Registry be any different? Just contact them and update your name n the Title. Job done!
# 11
paddedjohn
Old 23-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
Get a local lawyer to do the work, be about 150 plus VAT to do it

It should be sorted by now, that was from June 2008.
Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
# 12
DVardysShadow
Old 23-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird101 View Post

Start a new thread please. It only causes confusion as you can see when you put your question on the end of an unrelated problem.
Closed Thread