Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Scarlett.1974
    Suspension of Housing Benefit - Can anyone advise?
    • 7th Jun 08, 11:09 AM
    Suspension of Housing Benefit - Can anyone advise? 7th Jun 08 at 11:09 AM
    Good morning,

I hope someone might be able to advise me, because I'm worried sick here.

We've been receiving HB since March, no problem, went into bank every 2 weeks. In April my working hours (and pay) were reduced (cost cutting measures at work, I work for a small company) so I wrote to the council to inform them of this right away, sending in my new working contract and last 3 weeks payslips to show them my new wage. I wasn't expecting my HB to increase because according to my award notice we were receiving the maximum entitlement, but I thought I should tell them anyway because it says on all the letters to inform them of any change of financial circumstances.

I didn't hear anything until today - I have received 2 letters from them - 1 saying they require more evidence regarding my new wage and asking for my last 5 payslips (I am paid weekly) and also wanting to know how many hours a week I'm now working. The 2nd letter is the one that's got me all in a state though - it says that from 3rd June my claim has been suspended because my hours of work have changed :confused: This just makes no sense to me - after all, my hours have DEcreased not INcreased and subsequently, so have my wages.

My next payment is due on Monday, which I now assume won't go in

I will go to the local office on Monday with the information they're asking for, of course. But I'm ever so worried - how long might it take them to re-instate my payments? Has this ever happened to anyone else and did it get sorted quickly? It just seems mad to me that they'll just stop my payments, just like that...... I could understand if I'd had a pay rise, but my wages almost halved and without this money I'm not sure how we'll pay the rent at the end of the month.

Is this usual practise, for claims to be 'suspended' after ANY change of circumstances?

So sorry for waffling on and thanks to anyone who can help me.

Scarlett xx
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that

Proud to be BSC no. 103
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter