Bark Mulch vs Gravel (Decorative Stone)

Options
Just wondering if anyone knows the pros and cons of the above. I am making a walk way with stepping stones and wanting to place either of these inbetween and at the sides. Just cannot decide which one to go for.

Thanks.

Comments

• Jag1978
    Jag1978 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be interested in know this too... Similar position, but I have an overgrown area at the back of my garden about 10x10m which I'm having cleared this weekend. I plan to flatten the ground as it's uneven, then place a weed control fabric over it (can't believe how expensive that stuff is). Finally I've got a few options Bark mulch, gravel or possibly slate chippings on top. My area will not be used much to walk on more for stopping it overgrowing again. I'm thinking of placing a sheld in that area about 3 x 3m. I've heard bark mulch can go moldy after a certain time!!

I'd be interested to know what the best options are as mogimorgan said. I hear Bark Mulch is probably the cheapest option and as I'm on a budget!!!

Jag
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you go for bark, you have to supress the weeds underneath it. i clearly didn't do this right and the wind has lifted the fabric and the bark decomposes and needs replacing yearly. cheaper initially though.

I also have a gravel drive. If the ground is properly prepared first (compacted etc), this lasts a lot longer before you have to top up. and if it's not being driven on all the time, you probably won't need to at all. i just weed it every year.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I used bark on a part of my garden and have regretted it, it started ok but then I found that birds were rummaging throught it looking for insects, I didnt mind that so much but the birds were tossing the bark chips all over the place into others parts of the garden. Second problem was the local cats using the area as a toilet, the smell was overpowering at times. Third problem is the rotting down bark provides at start for any seeds blown into the area and I find myself pulling more weeds from that area than the garden itself, the weeds are growing above the control matting that is there.

When funds permit I am going to switch to stone chips of some kind.
  • WobblyGoblin
    Options
    Gravel it.

We've got bark and stone chippings in our garden. Bark chippings are fairly cheap but they do seem to be a magnet for foxes, blackbirds and cats. Frequently have to sweep up scattered bark from the path. Additionally, as people have said, you will need to replace as they break down. If you're going to be walking on the area a lot this will help it break down.

We had an existing poured concrete patio at the end of our garden which we cleared, built a frame with wood and those log border rolls, levelled with sand, covered with weed control sheets and then gravelled. We bought from a local supplier who just dropped off a ton of gravel the next day. Cost us £50. Ok, it's not premium stuff but it does the job and we managed to do the back of the garden for less than £150. If you buy your gravel from a DIY place in those little bags it'll cost a fortune. Try contacting a local building/stone suplier and see how much it would be.

My 2 tips (from experience): 1) make sure you fill to a good level. We didn't at first and ended up with sparse patches. 2) Make sure your underlay stuff is fairly secure. It's tedious when edges come up and you need to sweep out the gravel from under it and then flatten it all down again.
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    Just done this for my sis.She had bark for years and renewed it annually.I said to her,"why don't you gravel it"? to which she replied "too expensive".I got her some angular flint gravel for £40 a ton(she used 4 ton) and i was quoted £1.50 a metre for the black weed suppressant at the builders merchant.This stuff was 1.5 mts wide.Because the guy behind the counter knows me he said try wilko's,it's much cheaper.Got packs of it 8mts long for £3.00 in there.Cost my sister less than £200.00 and it looks grand.She loves it and wont have to fork out for bark every year.
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have both, bark under the kids trampoline and gravel elsewhere, we have to top up the bark every year and the birds love it no matter how much I brush it back under the trampoline and into the flower borders the minute my back it turned the birds are back pulling it onto the lawn. The kids use the gravel to throw at the pigeons to keep them out of the garden which if fine by me as I hate pigeons!!!
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    We've got a wild life area at the bottom of the garden and thought bark around the bench and pond would look more natural. It did but was an ideal place for the cats do use it as a loo so I had it gravelled over........just a thin layer enough to cover it up.
    Wasn't too bothered about any weeds coming up as its all wild life, I like wild flowers and I just pull up those I don't want.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • bigdoozer
    bigdoozer Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I converted front and rear gardens to slate. Pebbles or pea gravel no good as you can't walk on it. We bought 2" Green slate chippings from a company in Knutsford (£55 ton) delivered in those big bags. No weeds in 2 years (with that black weed cloth underneath), looks good and with a few step stones in for decorative effect. We even park our car at the front and it stays in place.
  • Gareth_Davies_2
    Options
    I seem to be the only person on the planet who has an extreme weed problem with chipped slate paths. The chippings were laid deep, on a professional-grade weed-proof membrane, but the weeds just germinate in the slate itself. I have tried everything I can think of, including sodium chlorate solution in high concentration, but still the weeds come, if anything more vigorously than ever. I'm sorely tempted to resort to tarmac, which would be ineffably ugly but at least weed-free.

Nobody else seems to have this problem; on another forum I was informed that sodium chlorate can keep a slate-waste tip free of weeds for months on end, so why not my path?
  • Fred56
    Options
    I've tried both. Bark just blows away and spreads all over the place. Gravel works but choose the 20mm gravel not the small stuff because it gets stuck in your shoes and scratches your floors. Just by regular gravel not the fancy stuff. It's cheapest to get it direct in as big a load as you can. Even a 1 tonne dumpy bag is fairly cheap. Ask a local groundworker who to go to. Where we are there are two transport companies who sell the stuff as a sideline. They supply all the builders merchants in the area.
    Learn from my mistake. The gravel should be shallow, say 40mm.
    Dig off the soft stuff down to a firm subsoil. Lay your geotechnical membrane and bring the base hardcore (2inch to dust) up to 40mm below the finish level and whack it down in layers no more than 100mm. Whacking consolidates and reduces the chances of it subsiding into dips later.
    Spread the gravel on top. If it's too deep it's hard to walk on and to push things like a barrow. If it's shallow it tends to stay where you put it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure