Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > nPower meter reading (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
nPower meter reading
Closed Thread
Views: 3,695
# 1
Scout
Old 27-05-2008, 9:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question nPower meter reading

Something has just this minute dawned on me ......

Earlier today an nPower meter reader came to the door. He had an ID card on and was carrying his meter reading gadget. Both my meters are under the stairs in the hall so as I had been tidying this hell hole out, you could actually get into it although I always stand by them and watch (I can't have them nicking my crunchy nut cornflakes can I? ) The man read the meter and left ....

All Ok, except I haven't been with nPower for a few years!! It didn't dawn on me at the time as I am looking into switching so have had all the names of the companies going round in my head. Also, I had a house full of noisy kids and couldn't hear myself think. Usually, I have had one of those generic meter reading companies come around.

So, why did nPower call? Was it just a mistake on their part, was it a potential burglar or do nPower now do meter readings for other companies?
# 2
Red Cat
Old 27-05-2008, 9:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

NPower actually own a company that does do readings for themselves other companies. I think this replaces the Siemens company that used to do it. I only found out recently when a friend of my explained this to me. I forget the name of the actual company though, sure it's not called Npower.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Cardew
Old 27-05-2008, 9:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Just make sure that you don't find you have been switched from your current Utility Company to NPower.

You wouldn't be the first to have application forms filled out by a NPower salesman and your signature forged. - they need meter Ser No and readings.

Highly unlikely that will have happened, but a quick call to your current company to check they have the latest meter readings will make sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Scout
Old 28-05-2008, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just rung nPower and they have no idea why one of their meter readers came. At least I've not been signed up to them "inadvertantly".

When I get round to it I'll ring my current supplier and ask them, but AFAIK they always use Accuread for their meter readings.

Thanks all anyway
Closed Thread