Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zoetoes
    • By Zoetoes 27th May 08, 2:08 PM
    • 2,404Posts
    • 2,400Thanks
    Zoetoes
    0 WOW
    Alton Towers or Drayton Manor??
    • 27th May 08, 2:08 PM
    0 WOW
    Alton Towers or Drayton Manor?? 27th May 08 at 2:08 PM
    Hi all

Would appreciate some opinions please.

We have booked a Travellodge in Tamworth, the 9 a night offer which I read on here - Thank You!, me, OH and 2 boys 7 and 14. We want to go to a theme park and the Snow Dome.

I have looked at the prices for Alton Towers and Drayton Manor and Alton Towers prices a 14 yr old as an adult so works out expensive, I have got a bogof voucher so would make it 96, Drayton Manor coming up at 69 booking online, 27 less and they have a zoo.

I have tried lastminute.com etc, all sold out.

So, apart from the difference in price, which is the better option? Is Alton Towers a lot better than Drayton Manor? I would rather pay 96 to have a great day out than 69 to have an average day out.

Thanks
    If you're going to stalk me, while you're at it can you cut the grass, feed the dog & make sure I've got bread & milk in
Page 1
  • SPANIEL36
    • 27th May 08, 2:20 PM
    i'd go drayton manor but i think alton towers had more rides....lots of big long queue's

• Zoetoes
    • By Zoetoes 27th May 08, 2:20 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Zoetoes
    Have just found the active link for raring2go, the first one I tried didn't work so I thought I'd missed the offer.

Now, I just need to know which is the better park??!!

Thanks
    If you're going to stalk me, while you're at it can you cut the grass, feed the dog & make sure I've got bread & milk in
    • Zoetoes
    • By Zoetoes 27th May 08, 2:25 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Zoetoes
    • 27th May 08, 2:25 PM
    • 27th May 08, 2:25 PM
    i'd go drayton manor but i think alton towers had more rides....lots of big long queue's
    Originally posted by SPANIEL36

We're going in term time so hopefully it won't be too hectic.
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 27th May 08, 2:29 PM
    • 5,474 Posts
    • 4,640 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 27th May 08, 2:29 PM
    • 27th May 08, 2:29 PM
    Spend £10 in Tesco and get a 2 for 1 voucher that can be used at Alton Towers. You will then have 2 which should make it a similar price to Drayton manor.

Alton Towers is bigger and better.

• Zoetoes
    • By Zoetoes 27th May 08, 2:44 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    Zoetoes
    • 27th May 08, 2:44 PM
    • 27th May 08, 2:44 PM
    Spend 10 in Tesco and get a 2 for 1 voucher that can be used at Alton Towers. You will then have 2 which should make it a similar price to Drayton manor.

Alton Towers is bigger and better.
    Originally posted by davetrousers
    Thanks, I've found the voucher for 16 Adults and 11 kids, we'll take 2 vouchers as our 14 yr old is classed as an adult - 59.

I thought Alton Towers would be bigger and better but I haven't been to Drayton Manor since I was a kid so thought it might be as good as Alton Towers now.

Might visit Cadbury World too now we've saved a few quid!
  • arthur dent
    • 27th May 08, 3:29 PM
    • 27th May 08, 3:29 PM
    I prefer Drayton Manor, it is smaller but the queues are much less. Also if you have any of the Kellogs zoo day out things, they are valid for Drayton Manor.
    Loving the dtd thread. x

• notakid
    • By notakid 29th May 08, 5:55 PM
    • 9,340 Posts
    • 27,484 Thanks
    notakid
    • 29th May 08, 5:55 PM
    • 29th May 08, 5:55 PM
    Drayton Manor have some great rides. Its not as polished as AT but its still good fun. And the Zoo is interesting too. I'd go there if you have a room for the night in Tamworth. Enjoy your trip.
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 1st Jun 08, 3:47 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    • 1st Jun 08, 3:47 PM
    • 1st Jun 08, 3:47 PM
    Alton towers will appeal more to your eldest, and Drayton Manor will be better for your youngest.

Both are very good though, but be prepared to queue (or pay extra for Fast Track) at AT!
  • LittleTinker
    Id go to Drayton Manor too.

Im not a big fan of AT......I dont like the Yobs that wander around on warm days with no shirts on and drinking.

Awful awful! One of my pet hates
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 26th Jun 08, 6:49 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 3,353 Thanks
    carlislelass
    prefer drayton manor,not so many queues. have you priced a family/ group ticket?
  • sarah_smurf
    I live near Alton Towers and even though that's the bigger park, Drayton Manor might be better as the queues won't be 'as' big as at AT. But added options with Alton Towers that i know of though for anyone with a medical problem that 'may' affect walking if you can get proof , you and upto 2 carers might be able to get wristbands to queue jump, go through the exit way and go on the rides a hell of a lot quicker (ie. max 5 min wait compared to 1 1/2 hour wait). But you would have to ring the park before hand to see if something, or what would be needed to bring with you incase they would like proof of a medical prob like astma causing a prob , and there was a little form to fill in at customer service who give you your band and you're off.
    Last edited by sarah_smurf; 28-06-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    O
    • COVKID
    • By COVKID 29th Jun 08, 11:36 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    COVKID
    Don't bother with Cadbury World,it was a complete rip-off when we went.Found it very expensive and half of the tour wasnt working but they still took us round it. D.Manor is just down the road from Tamworth and well worth a visit,it might save you a bit of travelling time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

473Posts Today

4,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin