IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
supermarket petrol
Closed Thread
Views: 10,150
# 1
hampshirebabe
Old 06-09-2005, 8:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question supermarket petrol

Is there any difference between petrol bought at a petrol retailer, say texaco or shell, and the petrol sold at a supermarket.
I've been told different things, some people are adamant supermarket petrol is cheap and nasty, but some people say it all comes from the same place.
I'm just talking about the basic stuff, not the more expensive ones that have extra stuff added.
Does anyone know for sure?
The Following User Says Thank You to hampshirebabe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Silent_Bob
Old 06-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There may be minimal differances but nothing to be concerned about. I've been using Sainsburys ordinary unleaded in my V6 sports car for over a year now and I get better mpg out it than using Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Snoochie Boochies
# 3
balsingh
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You really need to try it and see if there is a difference. It all depends on how your car takes to the different fuels.

I used a Fiat Coupe Turbo which ran really well on Sainsburys fuel but didnt agree with other supermarket fuels.

My brother drives a Ferrari and he can instantly tell the difference - he only uses Shell fuel. He tried Sainsburys Super once and the car just didnt run as well.
# 4
jjames
Old 06-09-2005, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's not just supermarket ones, nor is it only performance vehicles.

My humble 1.3 Hyundai Accent is distinctly displeased with Esso or Tesco fuel. It runs a lot smoother with virtually anything else, but it hates these two. There's no loss of economy that I can discern, but the engine is noticably noisier and rougher, and it can't be doing it much good.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjames For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Altarf
Old 06-09-2005, 7:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshirebabe
Is there any difference between petrol bought at a petrol retailer, say texaco or shell, and the petrol sold at a supermarket.
The fuel is the same, but the texaco, shell, etc fuel has extra additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshirebabe
Does anyone know for sure?
The oil companies that supply the supermarkets.
# 6
djohn2002uk
Old 06-09-2005, 9:35 PM

I used Tesco and Asda deisel from new for 6 months. Then after reading a thread on here, ran the tank low and filled up with shell. After the second filling with Shell my mpg increased by 4 to 45.5mpg. The Shell deisel was 3p/litre cheaper too.
Also experienced some stalling but not since using Shell.
# 7
BobToo
Old 07-09-2005, 6:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Tesco opened a shop in my town, squeezed the other three petrol stations out of business then hiked the price up. This was so obvious that even the apathetic public noticed and the price has come down a bit but I don't forget. If my tank is really low I'll put two litres in on my credit card and drive 10 miles to the nearest real petrol station.
# 8
robnye
Old 07-09-2005, 8:25 AM

until recently i wouldnt have beleived this sort of thing,
but whilst on holiday (last week), my vauxhall zafira 'engine management system' console light came on and stayed on, after taking it to a local garage in wadebridge, cornwall.
the fault was identified and cleaned (saving £100 for new part), when i talked to the mechanic, he asked about fuel, I always use asda, filled up before travelling to cornwall, then filled up with esso, 3 days later light came.
after garage had solved problem, drove away and later on put more petrol in from esso, within miles the light had come back on, this continued until I got home on saturday, went to asda sunday, filled up, light went off, came back on, it has now gone back off...

the mechanic had said, that supermarkets fuel doesnt have the same additives as esso/shell/bp etc........ which sounded feasible, but i remember this discussion before and the argument about whether a fuel lorry will visit different petrol stations during the the same load.......

makes you wonder though.

anyway I think my Zafira doesnt like esso .... and as asda is well cheaper, will stick to that, unless some can prove there is a difference
smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
# 9
balsingh
Old 07-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you look back to the 80s, there used to be 3 grades of fuel, 2*, 3* and 4*. Most cars woudl happily run on 2*, but 3* and 4* had additives to make the car run better (but it cost more). In essence, the same difference between the supermarket and Esso/Shell fuels now.
# 10
waster
Old 07-09-2005, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsingh
If you look back to the 80s, there used to be 3 grades of fuel, 2*, 3* and 4*. Most cars woudl happily run on 2*, but 3* and 4* had additives to make the car run better (but it cost more). In essence, the same difference between the supermarket and Esso/Shell fuels now.
Petrol used to be sold in 2*, 3*, 4* and 5* ratings. However, this had nothing to do with what, if any, additives were included in its composition. The stars denoted the octane rating of the petrol The higher the star rating the higher the octane rating. High performance cars usually had a higher compression ratio and therefore required a higher octane rating. This could be altered by retarding the timing, but then they did not run as well. Your average family saloon would normally run on either 3* or 4*.

And, of course, the main additive in those days was lead!!
# 11
balsingh
Old 07-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I remember my dad used to have an early 80s Nissan Sunny - we were told to run it on 4*. Thats what it said in the owners manual and thats what the dealer recommended.

When dad upgraded to a BMW 5-series, he was told to use 3* - and it did say that in the book. Strange eh!!!
# 12
fisheddie
Old 07-09-2005, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Not in the slightest - it depends totally on whether the engine would 'knock' on three star with it's timing as it should be. If it's timing was designed with three star in mind there would be no difference. The higher the octane rating the higher the resistance to knocking. Cars that specified (in the old days) 100 octane fuel needed this due to their optimum timing. Any less and knocking might result.
# 13
jjames
Old 08-09-2005, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsingh
I remember my dad used to have an early 80s Nissan Sunny - we were told to run it on 4*. Thats what it said in the owners manual and thats what the dealer recommended.

When dad upgraded to a BMW 5-series, he was told to use 3* - and it did say that in the book. Strange eh!!!
Japanese engines have always been a bit sensitive to fuel types, and do usually work better with higher octane stuff.

I suspect that's what is up with my Hyundai vs crap Tesco petrol; Mitsubishi-derived engine....
# 14
Cardew
Old 08-09-2005, 8:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

This subject is discussed endlessly in motoring forums and for every person who claims Supermarket petrol gives less mpg there is another person who claims it gives better. All totally subjective opinions[I].

One fact is beyond dispute – Supermarkets and the main oil companies get their fuel from the same refineries.

Now if the ‘magic’ ingredients that, say, Esso add gave better MPG than Supermarket petrol do you not feel they would get it verified by an independent body(AA/RAC motoring magazines etc) and you would never stop hearing about it in the media.

An objective test would very easy – get some identical cars put in different makes of fuel and drive them in convoy swopping drivers every so often.

Also if the ‘magic’ ingredient had any proven advantages do you not feel that the rival suppliers would have the fuel analysed and that ingredient added to their fuel?

The facts are that there is absolutely no proof that brand X gives better MPG than brand Y and the oil companies are very careful not to claim so – lest they contravene advertising regulations.

They are even very careful about their claims for the higher octane fuels – stressing the performance advantages.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
robnye
Old 09-09-2005, 9:36 AM

well said............
smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
# 16
Notebook
Old 27-08-2010, 2:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ruined it - I was enjoying the thread!!
# 17
Inactive
Old 27-08-2010, 3:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

One thing for absolute certain, I remember Tesco fuel, ( amongst others ) causing serious problems to users vehicles a few years ago, I have avoided Tesco Fuel ever since.
# 18
Hammyman
Old 27-08-2010, 6:57 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
One thing for absolute certain, I remember Tesco fuel, ( amongst others ) causing serious problems to users vehicles a few years ago, I have avoided Tesco Fuel ever since.
For the love of god...

It was one bad batch out of the billions of litres they sell. Do you avoid everything that you read about which has been sold with a defect? If so, why are you using a computer?
# 19
Coveredinbees!!!!
Old 27-08-2010, 9:00 PM

nice 5 year old thread well done sassy one, oh hang on

The Following User Says Thank You to Coveredinbees!!!! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
cardinalbiggles
Old 27-08-2010, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyman View Post
For the love of god...

It was one bad batch out of the billions of litres they sell. Do you avoid everything that you read about which has been sold with a defect? If so, why are you using a computer?
Quite true and do people honestly recon there have never been problems with the "big" manufacturers? (whose petrol comes from the same refineries and same oil as the supermarkets)

It may surprise some to hear that its not just Tesco that has had a balls up!
Closed Thread