Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Insurance & Life Assurance > Admiral Mid-Term Motor Cancellation = 45! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Admiral Mid-Term Motor Cancellation = 45!
Closed Thread
Views: 37,257
# 1
mentat72
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Angry Admiral Mid-Term Motor Cancellation = 45!

Hi all, just called up Admiral to cancel my motor insurance as I have sold my car.

The cancellation fee was 45!

While I'll be getting back a fair amount as the policy is December to December, I think that charge is extortionate. So, just as a warning don't take up Admiral car insurance if you may be looking to cancel before the term ends.

Thieves.
# 2
battyboimatt
Old 08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would never touch Admiral with a barge pole, I had a policy with them once, and phoned to cancel told it would be 35, paid this and then months later got a letter from a debt collector saying I owe Admiral 135 for my insurance that I had canclled, phoned Admiral and requested tape, funny enougth it was there alternative contact centre and they couldnt find anything, paid up and will never touch them again
# 3
dunstonh
Old 08-04-2008, 1:14 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
I think that charge is extortionate.
Its within the typical tolerance accepted by the FOS. Seems reasonable to me seeing as you wish to break the contract.

Quote:
So, just as a warning don't take up Admiral car insurance if you may be looking to cancel before the term ends.
Virtually all make a cancellation charge now.

Quote:
Thieves.
I'm not sure why you can call them that seeing as it is a published fee you are made aware of.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mentat72
Old 10-04-2008, 11:58 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's the anger more than anything that makes me use the word 'Thieves'.

I just don't see that 45 is a fair amount to break a contract, I could understand 10 or 15 to cover 'admin' costs. But 45 is taking the pee.

If I had known up front about the 45 charge I would not have renewed it with them and will not deal with them in future.
# 5
dunstonh
Old 10-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I just don't see that 45 is a fair amount to break a contract, I could understand 10 or 15 to cover 'admin' costs. But 45 is taking the pee.
You are also paying for loss of profit as well as a part recovery of the set up costs. Remember that the annual premium includes those but if you dont pay for the year, those costs still have to be met by the insurer.

It is fair when you consider what goes into car insurance. Plus the very low profit margins that exist. Indeed, many are running at a loss.
Quote:

If I had known up front about the 45 charge I would not have renewed it with them and will not deal with them in future.
You better be prepared to have no car insurance or find your choice of insurer is much restricted. Indeed, you may find that the cost of insurance each year ends up being more than the 45 because of that restriction on not using providers that charge a cancellation fee.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bluebash
Old 10-12-2009, 6:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just a note to say that I wrote to complain about being charged a 45 cancellation fee and received a reply that 'for good customer relations and to recognise my long standing custom with Admiral' they have decided to write off the outstanding amount. So it's worth querying it and not just paying up and grumbling....
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebash For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
TheOne
Old 16-12-2009, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just got a letter today, 16th of December, from Admiral saying that they will be cancelling my car insurance on the 4th of December!!!!!!!!!!!! So I phoned them to ask what the heck was going on. As I understood (I couldn't understand the guy too well!) they were saying that it was because they tried to take a payment in November of 51.00. I asked what this amount was for as my quote was for about 425 including their monthly payment plan ("tax") etc etc (looking for this now to confirm) which would only work out to about 36 as month. So I asked him what's happened as 51 a month adds up to 612!!! All I got the the bloke on the phone was "We haven't changed anything" So he's either completely uninformed or lying. They're now saying I owe them 99.93 but have no idea how it now adds up to this amount?? Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!! Useless ******ers!!!!!
# 8
TheOne
Old 17-12-2009, 9:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

So, I phoned Admiral this morning, as I thought I'd better just pay up this 99.93 and get it sorted and complain later, so at least I have car insurance. So I'm speaking to the guy on the phone (an English guy this time, woooo!!!) ready with a card to pay off the 99.93, and he then tells me I owe them about 380!!! WTF!! Where the hell am I supposed to get this sort of money from??
# 9
glitter123
Old 27-12-2009, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Its not just cancelling they charge for. I bought a new car last year and Direct Line charged me 35 admin fee for changing.
# 10
dunstonh
Old 27-12-2009, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter123 View Post
Its not just cancelling they charge for. I bought a new car last year and Direct Line charged me 35 admin fee for changing.
Nothing wrong with that. They publish that they have an administration charge on amendments.
# 11
icheyne
Old 04-08-2010, 2:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm sorry but these charges are very cheeky. No one expects their policy to be automatically renewed and for unreasonable mid-term cancellation fees to be applied.
# 12
dunstonh
Old 04-08-2010, 3:45 PM

Quote:
No one expects their policy to be automatically renewed
why not? The renewal letters always tell you if it will or will not be. So, in theory everyone should know.

Quote:
and for unreasonable mid-term cancellation fees to be applied.
Most people expect to be paid for work they do. So, why should insurance companies be any different?
# 13
whatmichaelsays
Old 04-08-2010, 4:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

This has been done countless times on many other discussions.

Here's my twopenneth on it (lifted from another discussion)

Quote:
These charges are simply about businesses reacting to the demands that we the public make.

The reality is that the public's insatiable desire to have everything "as cheaply as possible" means that companies are constantly having to look at bringing in ancillary charges or removing "free" services in order to make their headline price seem more competitive. There's big kudos in coming out on top in a Confused or Gocompare search and if you can do that by stripping out services, increasing excesses or generally cutting costs, then firms will do it.

We have seen it most overtly in the airline industry and we are seeing it creeping in to other industries (more and more firms are charging surcharges for credit cards for instance). Where a company may have changed an address for free in the past, the pressure to bring the headline price down to the bare bottom means that those services get removed from the standard package. Very few people will want to change an address so the negative impact of introducing a charge is minimal.

Insurance is a competitive, cut-throat industry and the margins have been shrunk dramatically. Five-ten years ago, insurers made little profit from a customer in Y1, making it up in Y2. Today, with many of us changing insurer every year (not forgetting the Quidco kick-back), firms are having to change that business model to make as much as possible in Y1 whilst still keeping the headline price low. Ancillary charges is one way of doing just that.

At the end of the day, businesses are simply reacting to consumer demand and at the moments, our demands are almost entirely price driven.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whatmichaelsays For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
lisyloo
Old 04-08-2010, 4:41 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You are very right.
I think the reason that people find it hard to accept is that they haven't overall seen insurance costs coming down, whereas if you get a flight for 1p, then you don't mind so much.
# 15
dunstonh
Old 04-08-2010, 5:20 PM

Quote:
This has been done countless times on many other discussions.
I like your response. There ought to be a sticky to cover why the charges exist (and automatic renewal as well) and your post should be there as it explains it well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
shazzom
Old 12-09-2011, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default It's since risen!

I've just bought a new car, already had my 1.6 Peugeot 106 insured with Admiral at 95 a month, have just bought a 1.4 Corsa and rang to change over, and new quote is 150 per month!!! So have found a much cheaper quote elsewhere, and cancellation fee with Admiral is now 47.50, plus 5 fee for each additional cover extra, so I have personal accident cover and hire car cover, so I also have to pay an extra tenner to cancel those and my normal policy cover, so all in all 57.50. Am hoping to argue with their retention team to match my other quote or at least keep it at 95 so the same as it is now, am hoping to get out of paying that fee but will leave if I have to!
# 17
Alison_B
Old 12-09-2011, 3:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My son is about to change his car. He is with Admiral and his insurance is due up in February. He picks the new car up on Friday and they have only quoted him 138 to change his insurance for the remainder of the year plus 18 admin fee.
# 18
talulah25
Old 12-09-2011, 4:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzom View Post
I've just bought a new car, already had my 1.6 Peugeot 106 insured with Admiral at 95 a month, have just bought a 1.4 Corsa and rang to change over, and new quote is 150 per month!!! So have found a much cheaper quote elsewhere, and cancellation fee with Admiral is now 47.50, plus 5 fee for each additional cover extra, so I have personal accident cover and hire car cover, so I also have to pay an extra tenner to cancel those and my normal policy cover, so all in all 57.50. Am hoping to argue with their retention team to match my other quote or at least keep it at 95 so the same as it is now, am hoping to get out of paying that fee but will leave if I have to!
Hate to tell you but you are probably going to have to pay more than 57.50 to cancel, there will also be a time on risk charge as well and short-term rates are not cheap!
# 19
caseyann
Old 24-09-2011, 2:23 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I was quoted 120 to cancel my Admiral multi policy - I had a change of car and I got a quote that was 700 cheaper - with Admiral single car policy - they explained that there was an admin charge for changing cars mid term - but 700 more to stay with multi car or pay 120 cancellation.
# 20
dunstonh
Old 24-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyann View Post
I was quoted 120 to cancel my Admiral multi policy - I had a change of car and I got a quote that was 700 cheaper - with Admiral single car policy - they explained that there was an admin charge for changing cars mid term - but 700 more to stay with multi car or pay 120 cancellation.
If you take their cancellation charge off that 120 then the rest is probably unpaid premium and possibly non-refundable items (if you bought any).
Closed Thread