IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
NO trickle vents in double glazing
Closed Thread
Views: 48,228
# 1
don_ky01
Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default NO trickle vents in double glazing

I am experiencing some damp problems and through research have discovered that it is not rising damp or leaks but due to the nature of it 95% probability that it's caused by condensation within the house. I have double-glazing with wooden frames (These were installed prior to my arrival in the house) these do gather condensation on the inside; I suffer dampness on the walls. My research has informed me that I should have trickle vents in the frames, these don't exist!

My question is can I drill the holes to vent the windows myself and if so what diameter hole should I drill in the frames? My guess is 3 - 4 mm and if this is the case, where would I get a long enough drill bit as the frame is 8cm thick and when you take in the extra required for the angle most standard drill bits won't be long enough.

Suggestions please.
Thanks
don_ky01
# 2
Doozergirl
Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You could leave the window and drill a nice big hole through the wall instead and put a ventilation cover on both sides over the hole for neatness. esentially an 'air brick'

Only windows fitted after a certain date would be required to have trickle vents.
everything that is supposed to be in heaven is alread here, on earth.

The Following User Says Thank You to Doozergirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
TimBuckTeeth
Old 07-04-2008, 2:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I wouldn't just put some holes in the frame. Likely to get problems with water and wind noise. 3 or 4mm is too small to have much of an effect.

In my UPVC windows there is rain deflector grill cover on the outside and a cover with a shutter on the inside. A slot about 10mm high is cut through the frame, and a few inches long - as long as the cover.

Have a look to see if you can buy the covers/grills seperately then make a suitable slot. I would paint or varnish the inside of the slot to stop the wood rotting. Make sure the drill doesn't go anywhere near the edge of the glazing unit.

It might be easier to put a separate vent somewhere else as mentioned above.
If you have bad condensation then it might be best to start with an extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom, and keep windows ajar, as trickle vents will only help a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimBuckTeeth For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
silvercar
Old 07-04-2008, 1:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I had windows fitted last week with no trickle vents. Instead the locking mechanism allows the windows to be locked when open a few millimeters.

All FENSA registered windows and installer, so perfectly legal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvercar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
lizziloves
Old 09-04-2008, 6:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You can buy retro-fit trickle vents but they probably wouldnt look too great.

You would probably be better off installing humidistat fans to kitchen and bathroom as they switch on when they humidity gets high.

You could also look at how you heat the rooms which suffer condensation (constant temperature is better than temperature fluctuations) and consider increasing your loft insulation if you dont have much. Schemes such as Warm Front and schemes run by energy providers can sometimes help with the cost if you meet qualifying criteria.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizziloves For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
macduf
Old 10-04-2008, 7:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

]I had windows fitted last week with no trickle vents. Instead the locking mechanism allows the windows to be locked when open a few millimeters.

All FENSA registered windows and installer, so perfectly legal.[/quote]

I am certain that you require Trickle Vents in all Habitable rooms.
The locking Mechanism is not designed for purely that reason although it helps. When it is in "night lock" position there is a Leverage point for someone to open any Windows so it would not be a good idea to leave downstairs windows in this position. I would asuggest you to call your Planning dept for advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to macduf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Optimist
Old 10-04-2008, 7:42 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I had new windows put in by a Fensa registered installer and he said that he had no need to install trickle vents if the windows he was replacing did not have them.
Any advice and opinions I give are personal, and are offered in good faith, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
adandem
Old 10-04-2008, 8:09 AM

I had new windows just over a year ago and specifically asked not to have them.

OP- If your house is that damp through condensation do you open your windows at all to ventiate, esp. in bathrooms and kitchens etc? I would get the matter investigated before doing anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to adandem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
elcappytan
Old 28-02-2011, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
I had new windows put in by a Fensa registered installer and he said that he had no need to install trickle vents if the windows he was replacing did not have them.
This changed with an update to Approved Document Part F (Building Regulations) in 2010. Trickle ventilation is required even if the windows being replaced did not have them.
# 10
cajef
Old 28-02-2011, 9:30 PM

'Optimist' posted that three years ago, why resurrect a three year old thread?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
The Following User Says Thank You to cajef For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
leveller2911
Old 28-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcappytan View Post
This changed with an update to Approved Document Part F (Building Regulations) in 2010. Trickle ventilation is required even if the windows being replaced did not have them.

Building inspectors can NO longer insist on trickle vents , I should know I make windows for a living and please don't dig up threads that are 3 years old, it just clutters the place up... Why would you trawl through 3years of threads just to post on one about trickle vents?

Theres plenty of good reading all over the site you don't need to dig up old ones......... That is unless your going to post a website selling amazing trickle vents that don't let a gale in..

Also what exactly is the point of a trickle vent ? if its to create an air flow and to assist with making a room breathe why can they be closed ??... Ive yet to come across any house in 25 years of work where people have them open......Total waste of money time and effort.. and they look hideous too......
If we in parliament cannot gain from ruling,then there is very little point in us being here: (Lord Manchester 1650) :rolleyes: how true!

Last edited by leveller2911; 28-02-2011 at 10:09 PM.
# 12
docmatt
Old 28-02-2011, 10:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The Following User Says Thank You to docmatt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
grimsalve
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have you considered Positive Input Ventilation?
# 14
angus1024
Old 21-09-2011, 2:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default trickle vents - where to fit?

Hi
I wish to fit trickle vents to my house as it has old PVC everywhere and no trickle vents.

Does anyone know where to fit them - I've usually seen them on the opening top window flaps - but can you fit them in fixed non-opening windows or PVC doors do you know please?

angus
Closed Thread