Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Retaliers can use NOCHEX to rip off customers (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Retaliers can use NOCHEX to rip off customers
Closed Thread
Views: 3,423
# 1
cooperdp
Old 29-03-2008, 8:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down Retaliers can use NOCHEX to rip off customers

I purcashsed goods off the internet just before Christmas. The website uses NOCHEX as many do. When the goods didn't arrive I eventaully raised with Mastercard who pointed out that they had no relationship with the Retailer in question but with NOCHEX and that they had fullfilled their payment obligations.

This is very dangerous since it means that all purchase protection afforded by using a credit card disappears when NOCHEX are involved.

I am still pursuing by 49.99 some 4 months on with little progress. Consumers need to be made away that finding NOCHEX in the purchase process is bad news and they should be avoided at all cost. I will be raising with the Personal Finance Press.
# 2
Brooker Dave
Old 29-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperdp View Post
I purcashsed goods off the internet just before Christmas. The website uses NOCHEX as many do. When the goods didn't arrive I eventaully raised with Mastercard who pointed out that they had no relationship with the Retailer in question but with NOCHEX and that they had fullfilled their payment obligations.

This is very dangerous since it means that all purchase protection afforded by using a credit card disappears when NOCHEX are involved.

I am still pursuing by 49.99 some 4 months on with little progress. Consumers need to be made away that finding NOCHEX in the purchase process is bad news and they should be avoided at all cost. I will be raising with the Personal Finance Press.
This also applies with other online payment methods.
"Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
# 3
soolin
Old 30-03-2008, 9:47 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooker Dave View Post
This also applies with other online payment methods.
Only in your world Mr Brooker.

OP, there is a forum for nochex users and it might be worth asking for help on there. Nochex does not work the same as paypal so it is extremely difficult to get any money back, but I have seen incidences where refunds have been obtained. I gave up my nochex account a few years back as it seemed to not be beneficial for either buyers or sellers, but I'm sure if you find the forum (it used to be called the green room) someone may be able to offer at least some suggestions.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 4
Blacksheep1979
Old 30-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Several people have received the same response regarding PayPal - I'd chase up the cc company again and be a little more 'forceful'
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksheep1979 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Brooker Dave
Old 30-03-2008, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin View Post
Only in your world Mr Brooker.
There are plenty of people who've used paypal and been told the same thing...

The Following User Says Thank You to Brooker Dave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bicycle_repair_man
Old 30-03-2008, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would not trust any retailer website that uses paypal or nochex rather than their own credit card processor.
# 7
Brooker Dave
Old 30-03-2008, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle_repair_man View Post
I would not trust any retailer website that uses paypal or nochex rather than their own credit card processor.
Most online retailers will use a third party payment gateway, some like paypal are considered a money transfer service by credit card companies.

As far as I'm aware so long as it's a secure site you've not got too much to worry about.

One of my websites uses Nochex as the payment gateway and the other uses google payments, and everyone seems happy so far.

# 8
bap98189
Old 31-03-2008, 1:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle_repair_man View Post
Many online retaillers use Paypal as their credit card processor. The reason is that Paypal don't charge a percentage of each transaction rather than a monthly fee, making them a good choice for smaller retaillers who want to be able to take credit card payments via their website.
# 9
windswept
Old 31-03-2008, 1:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hands up how many people know that paypal does not cover you under their seller protection scheme if you use it for website payments, direct (email ) payments or their virtual terminal?
Their line about being a "merchant account" is laughable - an online business should only be taken seriously if they use a real IMA.
"There is a light that never goes out"
Closed Thread