IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bluewater gift vouchers
Closed Thread
Views: 13,463
# 1
Louisajane
Old 26-03-2008, 1:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry Bluewater gift vouchers

These vouchers have a limited time within which they can be spent, and can only be used at Bluewater Shopping Centre (Kent) at participating stores. If you run out of time, tough, you lose the money. I know a number of people who have fallen foul of this time limit. Is BW within its rights to impose such a strict limit?
# 2
andyrules
Old 26-03-2008, 8:09 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I guess they can impose whatever terms they like - we don't have to purchase them!

Personally, after having had one from another shopping centre - I would never touch one again. As you say, time limit, restricted to certain stores, and, watch out for this - some stores don't know how to process them (the new 'debit card' type as against paper vouchers), so embarrassing delays, fuss at checkouts.

Enjoy! (and use it quickly)
# 3
grayme-m
Old 26-03-2008, 1:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As Jasper Carrott said similar, how good are gift vouchers?

Hmmm, a gift voucher from a single store / shopping centre or a crappy £10 note that you can only spend in any shop in the country?
Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
# 4
chuckley
Old 26-03-2008, 7:01 PM

the vouchers clearly have the expiry dates stamped on them (usually a year for shopping centres).
# 5
C_Ronaldo
Old 26-03-2008, 7:09 PM

i dont see how its a rip off, the vouchers from a shopping do tend to be only used in that specific centre where the vouchers were bought, and the expiry date is clearly stated on the back is it not
No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
# 6
vikingaero
Old 26-03-2008, 9:18 PM

I think someone on MSE previously posted about expired Bluey vouchers and got them to replace them as a gesture of goodwill. So if you do have some ask at the Concierge Desks or send them an email.
# 7
bluewaterripoff
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisajane View Post
These vouchers have a limited time within which they can be spent, and can only be used at Bluewater Shopping Centre (Kent) at participating stores. If you run out of time, tough, you lose the money. I know a number of people who have fallen foul of this time limit. Is BW within its rights to impose such a strict limit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrules View Post
I guess they can impose whatever terms they like - we don't have to purchase them!

Personally, after having had one from another shopping centre - I would never touch one again. As you say, time limit, restricted to certain stores, and, watch out for this - some stores don't know how to process them (the new 'debit card' type as against paper vouchers), so embarrassing delays, fuss at checkouts.

Enjoy! (and use it quickly)
I have £325 worth of BW vouchers which I was given by well wishers (aka mugs) when I got married. I was going to use them for carpets, curtains etc. as I am doing up my house and I put them away. I found the vouchers again
a few days ago and discovered that they were 4 DAYS OUT OF DATE!!!. LEND LEASE the huge Australian Property Company who issue these vouchers point blank refuse to revalidate them.
PLEASE FOLKS DON'T BUY THESE VOUCHERS. They are not discounted when they are purchased so they should be as good as CASH!! It may not look as pretty when you give people cash but pound notes don't date and you can spend them anywhere. We've contacted Trading Standards and they dont care about the money people lose in this way.
# 8
MinniMe
Old 11-05-2010, 4:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry OP and Bluewaterrip off but at the end of the day you were aware of how long you had to spend them and you didn't. BW vouchers are valid for a year, so you had time. Oh and BWripoff - they don't sell carpets at bluewater!
New surname New start!
Total Debt - £9999.09 now 7633.16 23.66% paid off
# 9
vikingaero
Old 11-05-2010, 5:38 PM

You can get carpets from John Lewis at Bluewater who will accept the vouchers. Whenever I've queued near the voucher sales point outside M&S the staff make everyone aware of the validity.
The man without a signature.
# 10
heretolearn
Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 AM

It's improved a bit, their deadline is now a year.

I was given some a few years ago and the deadline was only 6 months, and they ran out of date without me realising, so that money was lost.

I don't know why they are so inflexible - they've had the money for goodness sake, surely they can't just keep it without letting you spend it! I can understand needing some closing date, but 6 months disgusted me!
Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
# 11
nomoneytoday
Old 12-05-2010, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretolearn View Post
I don't know why they are so inflexible - they've had the money for goodness sake, surely they can't just keep it without letting you spend it!

Because accounting for open dated items is a nightmare. With a fixed end date your liability is easier to calculate - it's simply the open vouchers issued in the last x months

AFAIK Bluewater now have a prepaid credit card offering instead.
Closed Thread