Is there a maximum distance you can live from kids school??

Options
Hi everyone, I have searched my County Council website and cannot find anything about this at all, but is there a maximum distance my children can live from their school.

If we move to another village that is 12 miles away, will they still be able to attend the school they are at now or will they be made to move school as well. My son is on an IEP (Indivdual Education Plan) so I need to keep him at this school.

I have emailed the LEA to find out if we qualify for assistance with travel but I am wrried they might now tell me that he cannot atend a school so far away and am worried about this.

Any ideas please. :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    We moved about ten miles when my son was about to start his last year at school, I got in touch with the LEA and they said it was okay for both of them to stay at their schools. Both kids ended up staying at their schools for a year until my son completed his GCSE's then he went to a local 6th form and my daughter a local primary.

I don't know about help with travel, they may refuse if there is a school closer that would be suitable for your son.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    anguk wrote: »
    I don't know about help with travel, they may refuse if there is a school closer that would be suitable for your son.
    that is the key thing, and they will argue that an IEP can be set up at a new school as easily as at his old school. It's not like a statement, which can name the school which best meets his needs.

However, I don't think they can tell you that you can't continue to send him there.

What year is he in? Is this sustainable long-term? It may not be too bad for an older child, but it might be just too tiring for a younger one (not to mention for you!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • anonymousie
    Options
    I think if you want to keep your child at a school a distance away just because that is what you want to do then you are responsible for travel.

If there is an educational "reason" the travel is needed eg to a special school/unit (or, for instance round here, if the secondary you are allocated is miles away- but the LA has not been able to place you closer to home) then transport is provided.

I'm afraid with an IEP oe even a straightforward startement you'd be expected to change schools as long as they could meet the childs needs.
  • shazrobo
    shazrobo Posts: 3,313 Forumite
    Options
    one of my sons lives 20 miles from his school, but its the school named in his statement so transport is provided,
    sorry cant be of more help
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)
  • Penny_Watcher
    Penny_Watcher Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some pupils travel between 25 and 30 miles to come to DS1's secondary school. Most of the kids live within North Yorkshire, but some come from Leeds in West Yorkshire so it's not a 'only if you live in the county can you come to our school' thing. I don't know about help with travel.

When I went there, there were free buses for everyone who lived more than 2 miles from school, but that was back in the Dark Ages :o.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • LilySue
    LilySue Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I understand, you will be able to keep your son at the same school, but you won't get help with transport as long as there are considered to be other schools closer to your home that would meet his needs.

Blue Monkey you know I think about you often as I can't get over how similar our stories are, both having to leave our mother's homes, both having kids with ASD......and yes I tried to keep my son at the same school when we moved, but I had to take two buses to get him there each morning, and just couldn't keep it going, so after two months took the decision to move to the local school....first year was very hard, after that everything clicked into place and he enjoyed his last year of first school and has made a good transition to the local middle school.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, just considerations really, I am happy to travel (and pay) but was worried that they might say we lived too far away now to be able to continue going to the old school.

It turns out that should we be made homeless they will pay for his travel as this is beyond our control, likewise if he had a statment they would pay for the travel too. Until now we have not needed on specifically as the school give him the additional help (and 1:1 teaching assistants) as and when he needs them.

Lily Sue, it looks like the house is not really going to be suitable for DS, right o a busy road, no parking so have to go over this road to get to the car, no garden - all the things we asked them to consider for him it does not have. Which is ashame, I guess we got blinded by the potential without realising that it is not right for DS and for what he needs for his day to day needs.

Never mind, I need to bear everything in mind - as I said I do not mind travelling, but the local school is oversubscribed and it has a waiting list. I have to trawl the schools to find out what one would be suitable for his (special) needs but I would not be able to have DS in school in one direction and DD in school in another direction.

Where the house is located is not ideally suited for my son's needs so for now it is not really an issue.

Thanks for your help on the distance though, it is always helpful to know they would not make them leave just because we moved areas - this was one of my worries.

Hi LS, good to hear from you so I've not been on the other thread much, so much has been happening lately, court date for eviction is 2nd April so been packing all I can without the kids saying 'I like playing with that' when it has not seen the light of day for a year. I am trying to whittle the toys down but I am getting nowhere fast, LOL!! But is more about 'being prepared' as if they give us 14 days we have only got a month left here. Where we are now they have a first, middle and upper school, it is the only place in the education district that does it and the school is one of the best ones in the area. I am lucky and I can drive though so not so much of a problem. Will catch up soon. xx
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My dd travels about 25 miles to school. It is in a neighbouring local authority. She also a level of additional needs and this is one of the resons why we choose that school. Her needs were not being met at her previous school. I have to pay the £3 a day bus fares myself.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    Some of the more well-off kids in my town go to schools in Glasgow, over 30 miles away.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport