Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• JuneBow
    • By JuneBow 19th Mar 08, 8:36 AM
    • 185Posts
    • 155Thanks
    Converting a house into two flats
    • 19th Mar 08, 8:36 AM
    Converting a house into two flats 19th Mar 08 at 8:36 AM
    Has anyone ever converted a terraced house into two flats and how much did it cost.
    I may buy small terraced house and convert it into two flats, but I am trying to work out how much it will cost.
    I can work out how to fit two bathrooms, two kitchens, split the electrics etc, but am not sure about the costs involved in the actual fire and soundproofing work involved, which I believe there to be some.
    Has anyone ever done this, and how much did it cost.
    Also, as I know that it can vary from area to area, if you did it, where was it eg, midlands, northeast, london etc.
    I have tried to look for the building regs work required, but cannot find it on the web. If I could find this, perhaps I could cost it out better.
Page 1
  • pickles110564
    • 19th Mar 08, 9:37 AM
    • 19th Mar 08, 9:37 AM
    £60K Depends on rip off builders,enough parking for two flats etc etc
    • JuneBow
    • By JuneBow 19th Mar 08, 2:46 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    • 19th Mar 08, 2:46 PM
    • 19th Mar 08, 2:46 PM
    O my goodness!
    I am just doing it so that my husbands granmother can sell her house, spend her money and then she can grow old disgracefully!
    I wanted the other flat so that if things got bad with her, someone could stay, and yet still give her some privacy.
    Did you get a breakdown of how it cost that much, in terms of soundproofing/fireproofing, rewiring etc.
    Glad I asked now or I woul have been in for a shock.
  • morg_monster
    • 19th Mar 08, 2:52 PM
    • 19th Mar 08, 2:52 PM
    If you only need the second flat for the possible situation of a live-in carer, maybe a largeish bedroom with ensuite would be all that was needed for the carer? EG if it got to the situation where gran needed live in help, she probably wouldn't be using the kitchen too much, so they wouldn't be getting under each others feet there... Might need to create a downstairs bedroom for gran too if she wasn't very mobile.
    My aunt and uncle were looking at doing something similar with my nan's 2bed bungalow (just making the larger bedroom ensuite for a carer and giving it a separate door in I think).
  • takoo
    • 19th Mar 08, 2:59 PM
    • 19th Mar 08, 2:59 PM
    Hi JuneBow
    You will probably need planning permission and as you mention building consent. Visit both council's offices on these and ask for info.

You may need to comply with:
    means of escape
    fire protection
    disability provision
    energy management
    water management.

Good luck

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,682Posts Today

7,170Users online

Martin's Twitter