Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Converting a house into two flats (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Converting a house into two flats
Closed Thread
Views: 4,645
# 1
JuneBow
Old 19-03-2008, 8:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Converting a house into two flats

Has anyone ever converted a terraced house into two flats and how much did it cost.
I may buy small terraced house and convert it into two flats, but I am trying to work out how much it will cost.
I can work out how to fit two bathrooms, two kitchens, split the electrics etc, but am not sure about the costs involved in the actual fire and soundproofing work involved, which I believe there to be some.
Has anyone ever done this, and how much did it cost.
Also, as I know that it can vary from area to area, if you did it, where was it eg, midlands, northeast, london etc.
I have tried to look for the building regs work required, but cannot find it on the web. If I could find this, perhaps I could cost it out better.
Thanks
# 2
pickles110564
Old 19-03-2008, 9:37 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

60K Depends on rip off builders,enough parking for two flats etc etc
The Following User Says Thank You to pickles110564 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
JuneBow
Old 19-03-2008, 2:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

O my goodness!
I am just doing it so that my husbands granmother can sell her house, spend her money and then she can grow old disgracefully!
I wanted the other flat so that if things got bad with her, someone could stay, and yet still give her some privacy.
Did you get a breakdown of how it cost that much, in terms of soundproofing/fireproofing, rewiring etc.
Glad I asked now or I woul have been in for a shock.
# 4
morg_monster
Old 19-03-2008, 2:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If you only need the second flat for the possible situation of a live-in carer, maybe a largeish bedroom with ensuite would be all that was needed for the carer? EG if it got to the situation where gran needed live in help, she probably wouldn't be using the kitchen too much, so they wouldn't be getting under each others feet there... Might need to create a downstairs bedroom for gran too if she wasn't very mobile.
My aunt and uncle were looking at doing something similar with my nan's 2bed bungalow (just making the larger bedroom ensuite for a carer and giving it a separate door in I think).
The Following User Says Thank You to morg_monster For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
takoo
Old 19-03-2008, 2:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi JuneBow
You will probably need planning permission and as you mention building consent. Visit both council's offices on these and ask for info.

You may need to comply with:
means of escape
fire protection
disability provision
energy management
water management.

Good luck

Takoo
Closed Thread