Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Mar 08, 11:00 PM
    • 24,693 Posts
    • 11,740 Thanks
    • 12th Mar 08, 11:00 PM
    Very little in the price of the shower itself.

There is a difference in the wiring and circuit breaker requirements.

A 8.5kWh shower will use a standard 40amp RCB - a 10.8kWh won't.

You need to get advice from a certified electrician, as these days you cannot, by law, do such electrical work yourself.

However the installation of a 10.8kWh shower could be considerably more expensive than a 8.5kWh.

Misread your post - 2.3kWh extra will cost approx 20 pence an hour in running costs.

However the above may be factors you had not considered???
    Last edited by Cardew; 12-03-2008 at 11:06 PM.
  • kookaburrah
    Anyone: please correct me if I'm wrong.

The difference between the two is 2.3kW, which I assume is consumption in kWh.
    If that is the case, for a 10 minute shower, you'd be spending 0.383 kWh more on the more potent shower.
    If we assume you shower every day, and 1 kWh costs you 9.262p (mine does):

365 x 9.262 x 0.383 = £12.95 a year per person more for the more potent shower, or

£47.89 a year per person for the less potent shower and
    £60.85 a year per person for the more potent shower

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

6,811Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • While I oft bemoan Xmas being a retail festival. It's strange today many are bitter that shops are REDUCING prices, usually its the opposite

• And leave people held hostage to high Xmas prices? Our tradition was Xmas discounts spread in Nov/Dec not on one day

• John Lewis website is down - its price matching black friday deals. Maybe its a good day to buy cheap extra servers?

• Follow Martin