Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > 100% Waterproof laminate flooring -anyone used? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
100% Waterproof laminate flooring -anyone used?
Closed Thread
Views: 25,838
# 1
zebidee1
Old 06-03-2008, 9:15 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 100% Waterproof laminate flooring -anyone used?

Came across this last night.......http://www.lfdirect.co.uk/products/e..._flooring.html

Anyone used it before?

I've got a sample being sent out but it would be good to know if it does what it says it does.

I read all the bumph on the manufacturer's site and it sounds just the job for the kitchen but who knows?

I have about a week left to make a firm flooring decision so I hope all the samples I've asked for, from various flooring firms all arrive in good time. :rolleyes:
# 2
Shambler
Old 06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Interesting, we have normal laminate flooring in our kitchen and have never had a problem with water damage.

Aquafloor looks like a good choice for the bathroom.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shambler For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
nalyo
Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i would advise you to save your money. its all about the joints, if I was you I would just use the aqua ones from B&Q. These worked a treat in my old kitchen. remember you still cant leave water on the floor and they are not 100% waterPROOF splash resistant etc maybe?
The Following User Says Thank You to nalyo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
markleedsuk
Old 06-03-2008, 5:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

no idea about the product however, the product is only as good as the installation (no matter how good the product is, if installed incorrectly you will have problems)
The Following User Says Thank You to markleedsuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
zebidee1
Old 06-03-2008, 7:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I appreciate the bit about installation but it's clic laminate so not a lot to go wrong I feel.

The core is pvc compared to normal laminate (which is usually mdf or similar )which is why they can make the waterproof claim.
# 6
Brooktop
Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'm with Shambler - I just had normal laminate from B&Q and washed it with a bucket/mop (with a bit of soap flakes) and never had any problems with water damage. We didn't even dry the floor after use, just left it to evaporate. As long as you wring the mop out and don't flood it with water, I don't see why you need to spend extra.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooktop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
zebidee1
Old 07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Is there anyone out there who has experience of THIS particular laminate, please?

I've researched ordinary laminate to death, lol and I would really like to know more about the pvc version now.

( I've just re-read that......I hope it doesn't come across as being cheeky as I'm greatful for all your opinions....it's just that I'm after specific info about the pvc stuff rather than laminate in general iyswim.)

# 8
zebidee1
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Samples arrived this morning. Not like other laminates and not quite what I expected but looks ok I think.

The core of the board is like a series of pvc channels with hollow centres. I can see how they make the 'waterproof' claim.

Edit: Had one of the samples soaking in a basin of hand hot water for the last 2 hours and it has come out exactly the same way as it went in. Looks like it does what it says on the tin.

Last edited by zebidee1; 08-03-2008 at 2:13 PM.
# 9
ajtrader100
Old 13-03-2008, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ive seen this product many times before, its very expensive, the rubber seal on the join is supposed the increase moisture resistancy, but its still a join. A join is a weakened area in any floor. I think you will be wasting your money, if you read the T&C of the warranty it wont cover bathrooms.

Buy a better end HDF (not MDF) based laminate floor with a strong click system and you will get a better product for your money.
# 10
TomsMom
Old 20-01-2009, 5:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Re-opening an old thread as I'm wondering Zebedee - did you buy this in the end? Was it the AquaStep - which one? How have you found it? I'm looking for my kitchen but there wont be a washing machine in there, just a dishwasher and sink.
# 11
fred_234
Old 16-02-2009, 9:30 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I know were to buy it - cheap!!

Toms Mom, i bought mine at www.flooring.uk.com they have it at a special offer price, UK only though.
The Following User Says Thank You to fred_234 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Toff
Old 25-08-2010, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have used this stuff, its only made by two companies, both Belgian. Aquastep and Dumafloor.
Its PVC based and so is entirely submersible, please do not confuse with normal supposedly waterproof laminate, its 40 a metre hence you wont see it at regular DIY shops when its more than most real solid woods. I have just used it at mine for the simple reason that the whole place can be done using it without any joins. Its warmer than carpet and better insulated, Quieter than normal laminate, as water resistant as vinyl so I have it in kitchen and bathroom and living room and living and dining room and I suppose technically it can even go in the garage or outside. Oh and by the way, haggle very hard I paid 27 per metre.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ormus
Old 25-08-2010, 6:19 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

thx for the laminated spam.
Get some gorm.
# 14
less_is_more
Old 29-09-2010, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Waterproof Laminate

Toff if you read this can you say where you purchased the flooring from please.
# 15
BargainGalore
Old 29-09-2010, 8:10 PM

Toff hasn't been logged in since 26th August
# 16
loracan1
Old 29-09-2010, 11:01 PM

The problem with 'waterproof' laminate is that if a leak penetrates from beyond the edge. For example, next door having a major flood, or your built-in d/w developing a minor leak - the water gets underneath and is *still* going to be a problem. I'll go so far to say it's going to be a big problem!

Most laminates are going to be water resistant if used with pva glue anyway.
# 17
turkey1
Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Aquastep flooring

I am thinking of purchasing this flooring, but it is the PVC part that I worry about because I am allergic to some synthetics. Has anyone who has purchased this flooring had any trouble with the smell of it.

Where did Toff purchase it for 27.
# 18
Shak A
Old 05-07-2011, 7:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Where to buy

Hi Toff,

I noted you bought the Aqua Step at 27/m. Was wondering where you got for this price?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toff View Post
I have used this stuff, its only made by two companies, both Belgian. Aquastep and Dumafloor.
Its PVC based and so is entirely submersible, please do not confuse with normal supposedly waterproof laminate, its 40 a metre hence you wont see it at regular DIY shops when its more than most real solid woods. I have just used it at mine for the simple reason that the whole place can be done using it without any joins. Its warmer than carpet and better insulated, Quieter than normal laminate, as water resistant as vinyl so I have it in kitchen and bathroom and living room and living and dining room and I suppose technically it can even go in the garage or outside. Oh and by the way, haggle very hard I paid 27 per metre.
Closed Thread