Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    russ21282
    HUGE electricity meter reading
    • 4th Mar 08, 7:44 PM
    HUGE electricity meter reading 4th Mar 08 at 7:44 PM
    Hi all,

we moved house about 8 months ago and had a new meter put in by British gas. Since then they have estimated 2 readings, the first being around 700 and the second for February around 1800. This all seems fine as the bill was just over 100 for the quarter.

However, after looking at the meter, the reading is about 8000! This would cost us around 800 for the quarter.

In the old house we have had 5/6 people living in the house, in most the day, 4/5 comps on a lot of the day, 5/6 showers, dryer/washing machine/cooker being used a lot. our usage was 180 for the same quarter last year.

In the new house we have 4 people here don't have a dryer and showers are heated by gas, cooker is gas and there everybody is out most of the time at work.

British gas are putting in another meter for 4 weeks to see if the meter is inaccurate (it will cost us 50 if it turns out to be accurate)

If it is accurate what else could it be? this seams impossible for how much we actually use!
Page 1
  • russ21282
    • 5th Mar 08, 10:56 AM
    • 5th Mar 08, 10:56 AM
    Anybody any ideas? If the meter is right the only things i can think of is somebody is stealing our electric or maybe something is draining it like a short in the house somewhere. Is this plausible?
  • ScoobyCanDo
    • 5th Mar 08, 2:02 PM
    • 5th Mar 08, 2:02 PM
    Don't panic .................... don't panic!

First off, take a Meter Reading each day, at the same time to see how much energy you are using in any given 24 hour period (I'm guessing we are talking about Electricity?).

Next work out WHAT appliances you are using during that 24 hour period (often where kids enter the equation - CHECK the immersion Heater is not being left SWITCHED ON .......... or any Electric Heaters, hidden in the depths of their 'SWAMP' ..... sorry, Bedrooms?) and try to calculate their kWh ratings, against the time they are in use and compare to your daily Meter Reading?

OR just pop in to your local Maplins Electronics Store and buy a Plug In Energy Monitor (1 should do) and use it on each appliance in turn to get an actual reading of use for that appliance.

Plug-In Mains Power and Energy Monitor

Go to :-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&criteria=Energy%20Monit or&doy=5m3

They WHERE only 9.99, but have gone back up to 27.99 .......... or look on Ebay for a cheaper one.
    -------------------------------------

If you think someone is nicking your power, wait until the evening and then switch the supply OFF ............... if you see your neighbours lights GO OUT .... you'll know??? :rolleyes:

If as you say, you mainly use GAS .............. then your Gas part of your bill should be a LOT higher than the Electric part? ........... and without all the info in front of us, it's a bit of a guess.
  • russ21282
    • 13th Mar 08, 12:12 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 12:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply scooby, yes it is electric i'm talking about and our gas bill was £200 for the quarter. I haven't been at the house to take readings each day but i have checked the meter again 2 weeks after speaking with british gas about the huge meter reading and it has increased by just over 200, now that would seem more reasonable compared to 700 for the same period!

Now what concerns me is they are going to put a second meter in and it will show our current meter is accurate and then we will be liable for the bill.

But i'm still 100% positive it can't be right as we haven't changed anything in the last 2 weeks.

I think its strange how its come down after speaking to them. A guy from british gas mentioned we might not have been moved over from the prepay tariff when we started paying by dd, but i can't see how this would make the reading high.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by russ21282; 13-03-2008 at 12:15 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 13th Mar 08, 2:10 PM
    • 25,449 Posts
    • 12,128 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 13th Mar 08, 2:10 PM
    • 13th Mar 08, 2:10 PM
    Going back to the beginning, are you sure that the 700 and 1800 on your bills are meter readings and not 700kWh and 1,800kWh consumed?

e.g. Is it possible that the meter was not at zero(not all are set to zero) when fitted 8 months ago