Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 3rd Mar 08, 10:54 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 3rd Mar 08, 10:54 AM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 10:54 AM
    Cheap - quality or price?

Avoid filling station forecourts. Go to some motor factors. Should get 5 litres for around a tenner.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 3rd Mar 08, 11:17 AM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:17 AM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:17 AM
    COSTCO sells Mobil 1 at £20 + VAT for 4 literes. Also, Halfords sometimes do deals on their own brand oil - worth keeping an eye out for but you will have to go in there regularly.

What car is this oil to be used in?
  • froggy_girl128
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:22 AM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:22 AM
    COSTCO sells Mobil 1 at £20 + VAT for 4 literes. Also, Halfords sometimes do deals on their own brand oil - worth keeping an eye out for but you will have to go in there regularly.

What car is this oil to be used in?
    Originally posted by thescouselander
    Just an old fiesta. I totally forgot about halfords so i will have a look in there.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something
    • anewman
    • By anewman 3rd Mar 08, 11:27 AM
    • 8,773 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:27 AM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:27 AM
    ASDA and Tesco have cheap own brands - I assume they're made by a volume oil manufacturer for the supermarkets and labelled up. Biggest ASDA stores now have a light blue semi-synthetic oil.

If you have a banger that you feel is worth nothing - you could just go for the value 20w50 - cheapest in ASDA I think.

All depends largely on the car and the oil it needs. For example with most modern cars I wouldn't go near any supermarket oils, but would hope most wouldn't lose oil between services anyway.
  • Inactive
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:58 AM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 11:58 AM
    " Cheap " oil is false economy, quality oil at a fair price is a different thing altogether.
    • anewman
    • By anewman 3rd Mar 08, 12:04 PM
    • 8,773 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    • 3rd Mar 08, 12:04 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 12:04 PM
    Suppose someone has to post this link

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
  • steveo3002
    • 3rd Mar 08, 2:04 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 2:04 PM
    in all fairness a old fiesta doesnt require the latest high spec wizz bang oils

asda have their havoline oils that are reasonble prices and halfrods sometimes have 2 for one specials etc

change it fairly often and im sure it will be fine
  • alared
    • 3rd Mar 08, 2:22 PM
    • 3rd Mar 08, 2:22 PM
    Just got rid of my old Fiesta but ran it for years on Wilkinson`s 20/50 at
    £4-25 for 5 litres
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 3rd Mar 08, 2:54 PM
    • 12,432 Posts
    • 5,121 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Just an old fiesta. I totally forgot about halfords so i will have a look in there.
    Originally posted by froggy_girl128
    To be honest they are only any good when doing a bogof. They do this on a regular basis for the more quality oils but never seen the cheaper stuff on offer.

Supermarket oil should be fine for an old and old design engine. Once had an old morris that only did 150miles per litre. Used more oil than petrol, put anything I could scrounge in there didn't seem to matter as it wasn't going to be in for more than a few days
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 3rd Mar 08, 7:09 PM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,982 Thanks
    vansboy
    The Asda own brand is fine & as cheap as you'll find for an OK quality oil, without lots shopping around.

Buy in a 5litre container, even if you only need a small amount as top up - it doesn't go 'off' once opened & is MUCH cheaper than 500ml or 1litre bottles.

VB
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 3rd Mar 08, 8:12 PM
    • 4,737 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    thescouselander
    I agree, for an old Fiesta cheap oil is probably the way to go - just remember to change it regularly because cheap oil is more prone to turning to sludge.
  • tataee6
    Motor oils,Engine oils Recommands
    Where can i but cheap oil from?

Thanks
    You can get the Motor oils in site
    Cheapmotoroils.com
  • AlVal
    A lot of unfounded rubbish comments here, suggesting that "supermarket oil" is somehow substandard. You won't find any proper reasoning behind such comments.

It's quite simple really. Consult the vehicle's owners manual, which will state the specification required for your car/engine. Then, find the cheapest oil you can that meets the required specifications, and change it as regularly as you can afford to. Chances are that ASDA/Wilkinsons, or your local motor factors will be cheapest.

mkiv fiesta's I believe require oil meeting the requirements of ACEA A1/B1 or ACEA A3/B3, but double - check this in your handbook.

Wilko's provide oil to A3/B3 spec requirements for £8.97 for 5 litres
  • Hammyman
    A lot of unfounded rubbish comments here, suggesting that "supermarket oil" is somehow substandard. You won't find any proper reasoning behind such comments.
    Originally posted by AlVal
    Lack of additives.

You have not been charged for this lesson.
  • mikey72
    Lack of additives.

You have not been charged for this lesson.
    Originally posted by Hammyman
    Which additives are required that supermarkets leave out of oil?
    Asuming it's to a ACEA A1 or A3.
  • sufmomo
    Where can i but cheap oil from?

Thanks
    smautospares.yolasite(dot)com/gm-oil(dot)php
    I get my cheap oil from there, its quality oil too as well Genuine Vauxhall oil only about £10 for 5Litres
    search cheap gm oil smautospares in google
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,815Posts Today

8,870Users online

Martin's Twitter