Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrs_scrooge
    • By mrs_scrooge 24th Feb 08, 1:07 AM
    • 176Posts
    • 64Thanks
    mrs_scrooge
    0 WOW
    COSTCO your best buys
    • 24th Feb 08, 1:07 AM
    0 WOW
    COSTCO your best buys 24th Feb 08 at 1:07 AM
    Over the years I've found the Lidl shopping thread very useful and wondered if anyone wanted to share their Costco recommendations?

I've found you need to be quite careful shopping at Costco as the prices are not always cheaper. Don't forget to check the price including VAT if applicable. Also, it's easy to get carried away buying things in large quantities that you don't have the storage space for, or catering sizes that you can't use fast enough. However, you could always split a large pack with a friend/relative. If you're not sure you'll use it then don't buy it! Remember you need to recover the cost of your annual membership before you save anything although this can be done in one hit if you buy a large item.

Brief details about Costco on their website http://www.costco.co.uk/default.htm
    NB They don't take credit cards.

My regular or recent buys are......

wine (current favourite Casillero del Diablo, was Fetzer Merlot but not sure if they have it anymore)
    own brand water 35 x 500cl for packed lunches (but don't forget to recycle!)
    parmesan cheese (Reggiano)
    Ottavio extra virgin olive oil 4x1L multipacks
    Robinsons summer fruits 4L (decant into a 1L bottle)
    skippy peanut butter
    finish dishwasher tablets
    persil gel tablets
    comfort easy iron 5L
    huge bags of wild bird seed/nuts (way cheaper than garden centre prices)
    black peppercorns
    saffron (multipack,way cheaper than supermarket but find others to share with!)
    sourdough baguettes (if you like this type of bread)
    mini garlic and coriander naan breads
    mini goats cheese discs (long date, ideal for snacks, tarts etc)
    cucumbers (2 huge ones for £1.49, better value than Tesco/Sainsburys)
    baby tomatoes (though like most stores these can vary)
    duracell batteries
    glide dental floss!
    toothbrush heads
    lawn fertiliser/weedkiller granules, big box, seasonal

Well that's enough for starters but over the years we've also bought electrical goods, home furnishings, clothes, books etc.
    Last edited by mrs_scrooge; 26-02-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Page 1
    • shopndrop
    • By shopndrop 24th Feb 08, 7:38 AM
    • 3,526 Posts
    • 19,400 Thanks
    shopndrop
    • 24th Feb 08, 7:38 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 7:38 AM
    Toilet rolls, tissues and kitchen rolls when on offer,usually BOGOF making them really cheap. Usually get enough to last me a year.
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 24th Feb 08, 7:46 AM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    • 24th Feb 08, 7:46 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 7:46 AM
    The sides of salmon........ Lovely
  • beanz
    • 24th Feb 08, 7:49 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 7:49 AM
    yellow e cloths for cleaning 24 in a pack for about 6.50
    scones,chocoate croissants, contact lens fluid way cheaper 9,00 in boots for one,12.00 for three in cost co!!
    • Lara
    • By Lara 24th Feb 08, 8:02 AM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    Lara
    • 24th Feb 08, 8:02 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 8:02 AM
    Carrot cake and chocolate cake!
  • chivers1977
    • 24th Feb 08, 8:17 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 8:17 AM
    I will be going next weekend for my first visit. I have heard that the hot chicken and bacon wraps are to die for. My boss used to buy the huge trays of Danish Pastries and they were gorgeous!

In terms of Costco vs Tesco Value, what is the price difference? Thanks
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • greyhoundcrazy
    • 24th Feb 08, 9:54 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 9:54 AM
    Autarkey dog food. Big sack is about 12. It is classed as working dog food and therefore VAT free.

John West tuna in sunflower oil x 10 3 something. Way cheaper than any supermarket!
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 24th Feb 08, 9:56 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    • 24th Feb 08, 9:56 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 9:56 AM
    TV's !! all Costco tellys come with a 3 year guarantee free ....

Frozen Crab claws/legs
    • lexie55
    • By lexie55 24th Feb 08, 10:03 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    lexie55
    • 24th Feb 08, 10:03 AM
    • 24th Feb 08, 10:03 AM
    Croissants
    • Fit_Like
    • By Fit_Like 24th Feb 08, 10:26 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Fit_Like
    I buy some of the things metioned here, but also:
    The double pack of raisins - my kids love them!
    Toilet Duck Three Pack
    Detol Surface Cleaner
    Oxy Vanish - both white and multi colours
    Washing Powder
    and the big cakes for birthdays! Great value for money but a bit sweet
    and occassionaly the danish cinnamon whirls - YUM!
    Fit Likeee!
    Advantage Card: 7005 Lightspeed: 830 Points - 173 Received My TNS: 325 Points converted to Nectar Nectar: 89 Piggy Points: 259 - 170 Received Pinecone: 36 Vouchers Pureprofile: 11 - 25 Received Quidco: 17.32 Shop & Scan 1250 Points 150 Received Tesco: 6220 Clubcard Points This Quarter YoGov 4.50
  • mrsv05
    can we have some more prices please, i was going to join years ago but didnt bother, now with a baby i may reconsider.
    thanks
    A happy wife, and mum to 2 lovely little boys
    • Mardrew
    • By Mardrew 24th Feb 08, 11:37 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Mardrew
    Mrs Scrooge

Did you know that their Highland Spring Still Water (20x750ml) is on bogof this week (ends today). Sorry I can't remember the cost.

Fit_Like

The Oxi Vanish 1.5kg is also on offer this week - buy 2 save £5 = £6.93 incl vat for 2.

Our other regular purchases are:
    either fresh (£5.99 for 8) or frozen beef burgers (£9.99 for 20) (DS loves them). They are not particularly cheap but are excellent quality
    frozen beef slices (£9.99)
    blocks of mature cheddar - we go through loads - just bought one - 1.23kg - cost £5.84
    packs of mozzarella cheese
    packs of sausage rolls
    naan breads
    wraps
    milk - if we are in we will pick one up - 6 pints £1.55.
    Last edited by Mardrew; 24-02-2008 at 6:38 PM.
  • stamford
    The big Hot Dogs at the Cafe
    • Fit_Like
    • By Fit_Like 24th Feb 08, 11:39 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Fit_Like
    can we have some more prices please, i was going to join years ago but didnt bother, now with a baby i may reconsider.
    thanks
    Originally posted by mrsv05
    I buy Huggies Nappies at Costco - they are about 15.00 plus vat for 186 nappies. In a few weeks time there is a coupon for almost buy one get one free - the last time this was on I bought 4 boxes and i am still using them.

Sometimes the Johnsons Baby wipes are as little as 3 odd plus VAT for the box of 6, next time they can be 6 - even at 6 its cheaper than Boots etc.

I have also bought the Johnsons Baby bath - its about 6 plus VAT for 6 bottles.

The biggest tub of sudocreme is about 6 plus VAT - again cheaper than I have seen elswhwere.

Hope this helps
    Fit Likeee!
    Advantage Card: 7005 Lightspeed: 830 Points - 173 Received My TNS: 325 Points converted to Nectar Nectar: 89 Piggy Points: 259 - 170 Received Pinecone: 36 Vouchers Pureprofile: 11 - 25 Received Quidco: 17.32 Shop & Scan 1250 Points 150 Received Tesco: 6220 Clubcard Points This Quarter YoGov 4.50
  • stamford
    Large Pitta breads something like £1.30 for 3 packs x 6 breads
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 24th Feb 08, 11:45 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    What a great thread!

The meat and fish is fab quality
    Pitta breads
    Mozarella cheese
    Feta cheese
    Peanut butter
    Washing powder
    Cans of coke
    Stamps of course!
    Sometimes their fruit and veg, especially for summer BBQ's
    • mrs_scrooge
    • By mrs_scrooge 24th Feb 08, 12:01 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    mrs_scrooge
    Agree the in store bakery stuff is usually very good (although they sometimes have an alarmingly long list of ingredients!). Croissants and danish pastries freeze well (I've been known to interleave the danish pastries to stop them sticking with the small baking parchment circles you get from Lakeland, how sad is that?!!).

I haven't used it for that but Costco is a good place to shop for food and drink for parties as they have big packs in the deli and chiller cabinets. I used to buy the big chocolate cakes for my kids' birthdays when they were younger and the huge pizzas!
    • norm diploom
    • By norm diploom 24th Feb 08, 12:06 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    norm diploom
    Good idea mrs scrooge!

Definitely the large birthday cakes - when I'm there I always try and pick up some of the fax forms at the bakery - just fill in the child's details and fax to them a couple of days before you need to collect the cake. Have also used these cakes for other special occasions such as a thank you / leaving do.

When the passports are around (usually Oct / Nov?), most of the deals on there are pretty unbeatable and worth stocking up on - I still have a garage full of loo rolls, kitchen rolls, tissues, bold tablets, finish tablets, not to mention the huggies nappies from end of last year!!

The kirkland signature, costco's own brand, can be pretty good too - in the past I used their baby wipes happily, although I have never tried their nappies.

Teabags are usually a good buy, as is coffee in the large tins - I usually decant some coffee into a smaller container and seal the big tin with foil to try and keep it fresh though.

Baby car seats when they have them can be good value, as can strollers etc.

Batteries - kirkland sig are fine for these too.

Black bags and bin liners - I always get these when I'm there. Disposable gloves - a large pack lasts ages for any messy jobs, and I always keep a pair or two in the car in case I have to get under the bonnet.

Their flowers are gorgeous too, and I think good value for what you get.

Office supplies such as printer refill cartridges and paper can be good, but need to compare with staples, viking or online.

I'm sure I'll think of more soon!
    • norm diploom
    • By norm diploom 24th Feb 08, 12:12 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    norm diploom
    I haven't used it for that but Costco is a good place to shop for food and drink for parties as they have big packs in the deli and chiller cabinets. I used to buy the big chocolate cakes for my kids' birthdays when they were younger and the huge pizzas!
    Originally posted by mrs_scrooge
    Also for parties, the huge tins are great - eg sweetcorn, pineapple, corned beef and tuna for sandwiches.

Forgot the whole garlic sausages in the dei cabinets, and the austrian smoked cheese whic the kids love.

Best thing of all are the regular food sampling demos, usually on a weekend, although there can be a bit of a scramble to get there sometimes!
  • amanda40
    I buy my mince, chicken breasts, chicken satay sticks ( 5 for 25) Mozzareella sticks, bacon, muffins etc. They are all great quality and cheaper than supermarket. The frozen chicken breasts are 8 for around 15/16 breasts. Also buy the southern fried chicken reasts from the freezer - they are 10 for around 15 breasts too = big though. I ry and go once a month to stock up the freezer.

I also buy the box of greeting cards - just under 9 for around 30 cards - Hallmark and great quality. Packs of wrapping paper are great about 6 for 240 assorted sheets llasts years!
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right folks im signing off for the weekend (well until my Sunday road show in Leeds). Have a good one!

• Final results of my tory leadership candidates twitter poll. Huge win for Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom distant 2nd https://t.co/jJxozPYFhi

• Ta for the regular stream of similar tweets. But, again, Id rather wire my nipples to electrodes & not in a good way https://t.co/npo6dvsLjG

• Follow Martin